Students Weigh In On Oscar Predictions

Who will win this years Oscars? (Courtesy of www.oscars.org)

Who will win this year’s Oscars? (Courtesy of www.oscars.org)

Taina Covington, Reporter

We are now in the thick of awards season. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts has officially released their 95th batch of predictions for the Academy Awards, more commonly known as the Oscars. These are some of the most prestigious awards for acting, voted upon everyone from the Academy to the students of Rockbridge County High School.

For Best Leading Actor, students have voted Austin Butler because of his performance in the movie Elvis. The main reasons are for his attractiveness and for his acting skills, all of which I agree with. He did exceptionally well in Elvis and the film has gotten so much praise. 

Senior Elaine Price explains why she thinks that Austin Butler should win an Oscar.

He really turned himself into Elvis. He did a really good job,” said Price.

The Wildcats have nominated Ke Huy Quan for Best Supporting Actor. He was a supporting character from Everything Everywhere All At Once. This is his first Academy Award nomination and he earned it for his outstanding performance.

Senior Saara Basuchoudhary shares why she agrees with 56.3% of the surveyed portion of the school.

“So talented, he showed emotion really well,” said Basuchoudhary.

The nominations for Everything Everywhere All At Once just keep coming. For Best Leading Actress, Michelle Yeoh has earned the students’ accolades. I agree with this. She starred and slayed in the leading role. Yeoh portrayed a mother whose family–and multiverse–is literally falling apart and through an interdimensional journey puts it back together. 

Sophomore Julia Newhall disagrees with the majority. She says that Cate Blanchett should earn it for her role in Tár.

“The movie looks really good and Cate Blanchett is a great actress,” said Newhall. 

The students depart temporarily from Everything Everywhere All At Once for the Best Supporting Actress. They nominate Angela Bassett, who co-starred in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever as Queen Ramonda. She was absolutely gorgeous and stunning in this role and deserves this honor. 

Sophomore Brooklyn Kerr expresses why she thinks that Bassett should be named Best Supporting Actor.

I loved this movie, and I think as a Black woman–as herself–she did such a great job having such confidence, and not worrying about others,” said Kerr.

For Best Animated Feature Film, Puss In Boots: The Last Wish has been nominated. I disagree. Marcel the Shell With Shoes On is more worthy of this honor. I am the only one holding this opinion, as no one else voted for this film. This stop-motion film by A24 pays tribute to an early-2000s YouTube mockumentary series about a tiny shell looking for his family. That is certainly more creative than yet another Shrek sequel.

Sophomore Spencer Pfaff shares why he thinks that Puss in Boots: The Last Wish should win.

Because Puss in Boots: the Last Wish is a cinematic masterpiece!” said Pfaff.

And we’re back to Everything Everywhere All At Once. The Wildcats have named its directors Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert the recipients of Best Directing. I’m going to have to agree again. A two hour and 15 minute movie takes a lot of effort and some great direction. 

Senior Alexus Frasco disagrees with the majority. He thinks that Steven Spielburg’s directing on The Fablemans should win Best Directing. 

“Steven Spielberg can do no wrong,” said Frasco. 

It seems that the students now agree that The Fablemans deserves an award. They have voted John Willam’s work in The Fablemans for Best Music (Original Score). John Williams is a score virtuoso. He’s had a great career with many great scores (Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones...), so he definitely deserves this Academy Award. 

Junior Marcella Wallin agrees with this prediction.

“It’s John Williams so it’s automatically better,”said Wallin.

Now onto more music. For Best Music (Original Song), “Hold My Hand” from Top Gun: Maverick. I disagree. Mitski and David Byrne made a song for ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’. Both by themselves are great artists, with unrecognized art.  Such a divine union of two musical powerhouses deserves awards upon awards upon awards. 

Sophomore Raven Parent disagrees with me and the majority. He thinks that Rihanna should win for her song “Lift Me Up” in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

“I’m definitely giving it to Rihanna and her song Lift Me Up in of itself says what is going on in the end credits of the movie Wakanda Forever, and it also made me cry so double plus,” said Parent. 

To finish off these predictions, let’s go to Best Picture. Students have nominated Avatar: The Way of Water. This sequel to the 2000s classic did great in the audience and in the box office. It had great special effects, just like the first. I personally disagree, but I don’t like the rest on the list.

Freshman Sarah Seay has thoughts on why Everything Everywhere All At Once should win.

“10/10 film. Very pretty visuals, good message, great acting, amazing dialogue; it’s just a fantastic movie,” said Seay. 

Looks like we’ve had a great year of films. But like every year, there are some that are better than others. The better ones get great awards, like the Oscars.