Band Marches Into Competition

McKelvey Courtney-Collins, Reporter

The marching band is preparing for another season. This year they will participate in three competitions, instead of their usual two, and are planning to play their best at every performance, both on and off the field.

“Last year we actually had a very successful year,” said band director Kaitlin McKibbon. “We only went to two competitions, but [at] one of the competitions, which was the one at Stuart’s Draft, we actually brought home a grand champion trophy.”

The students, too, are ready for the new season of competing, playing at football games, and most of all, playing music with their friends.

“I’m just looking forward to building, bringing in new members, and working hard to meet even higher goals than last year, and helping the band to grow,” said drum major SaraJane McDonald, a senior. She is confident that she will leave the marching band in good hands when she graduates because of the large number of leaders currently in the band and because of the members’ love for band.

Sophomores Gabby Tallman and Anna Vassey are also looking forward to another enjoyable year.

“It’s going to be really exciting,” said Tallman, who plays the trumpet. “We have a lot of visuals in all three songs that we’re performing, so that’s exciting.” Vassey, a clarinetist, enthusiastically agreed with her.

Senior SaraJane McDonald leads the marching band in rehearsal. Photo by McKelvey Collins

Vassey said she is looking forward to the competitions and football games “because it’s time spent with friends and happy times.”

The marching band will compete at Stuart’s Draft High School on September 24, at EC Glass High School on October 9, and at Powhatan High School on October 29.

The judges at the competitions assess the bands based on ensemble sound, marching techniques, general visual effect, color guard, and percussion. There are five judges, one for each category. The scoring system is on a 100 point scale, and they must score above a 75 to be ranked as excellent. The marching band will compete against Waynesboro High School, River Head High School, and Buffalo Gap High School.

The band’s show this year is called “Night at the Movies,” and the repertoire will include both the “Mission Impossible” and “Jurassic Park” theme songs.