SAGA participates in the Day of Silence

Alli Thomas, Reporter

The Sexuality and Gender Awareness (SAGA) club participated in the Day of Silence on April 27. Participants signed a pledge agreeing not to speak for the day and to wear surgical masks signifying their involvement in the nationwide event. The purpose of the Day of Silence is to raise awareness of the struggles that LGBTQ+ members face.   

“The Day of Silence represents an idea of solidarity amongst the school that we feel. The discrimination and mistreatment of LGBT youth is something that needs to be made aware of,” said junior Gina Decanini. “The idea that so many people come together to protest that is really inspiring.”

The Day of Silence is meaningful to many students, because it shows the support network LGBTQ+ members have.

“I think it’s especially important that we have events like this at RCHS, because our school doesn’t do a lot to create a welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ students,” said junior Charlie Mayock-Bradley. “Every student should feel safe and comfortable when they come to school.”

This is SAGA President Claire Moreschi’s fourth year participating in the event.

“I think it’s important because so many people don’t get to speak for themselves and someone has to give them a voice,” said Moreschi.

Around 30 to 50 students participated in the Day of Silence this year, with numerous younger students joining in.

“It’s not a huge number, but we have some younger and really enthusiastic students who have done a lot to organize it this year. I hope that has an impact on people who don’t know a lot about LGBTQ+ issues or who haven’t been supportive of that community in the past,” said Mayock-Bradley.

The Day of Silence calls attention to the struggles members of the LGBTQ+ community face and reminds them that they have allies.