Indoor Track Athletes Make it to States

Jessica Showalter

Evan Roney and Deena Ludtke pose before their races at states.

Oscar Kosky, Reporter

On Feb. 28, two athletes from Rockbridge County High School participated in the Virginia indoor track state championships, coached by Head Coach Jennifer Showalter and Assistant Coach Amy Zickafoose. Junior Deena Ludtke and senior Evan Roney both qualified for states at the previous regionals championship. The state championship was hosted at Liberty University in Lynchburg with a variety of individual and team races like the 3200 and the 1000 meter. There were also field competitions like the hammer throw and javelin. 

Evan Roney really improved his placement from last year’s states. Last year, he placed 8th in the 1600 meter. But recently, he ran the 1000 meter race and finished second with a time of 2:35.99. 

“I ran tactically,” said Roney, “reserving energy for the finish.” His time  qualified him for the national championship in indoor track. Roney has been competing for the team for 3 years, and this year, there was a lot of training to prepare for states.

“I had to pick up a lot of mileage because I had come off an injury after winter break,” said Roney. “I had to run more cautiously due to injuries so I hope to adopt a more reckless approach in the outdoor season!”

According to Roney, there’s a lot of room to grow in the future. 

“I’ll be competing in cross country and track & field for Rhodes College,” said Roney. “I believe I still have an immense amount of room to grow, and I plan to put in the work.”  

Deena Ludtke ran two different races at states. She participated in the 3200 meter, finishing in fifth place with a time of 11:53. She also participated in the 1600 meter, finishing in twelfth place with a time of 5:32. 

“I felt energized and motivated,” said Ludtke, “And in the 3200… I didn’t start feeling bad until after I finished.” She had been busy preparing all winter for these races. 

“I prepared… by being consistent with my running and strength workouts,” said Ludtke. She also is now focusing on outdoor track in the spring. “I am going to focus on reaching my new goals, making it to outdoor states… and focus on strength training outside of practice.” Ludtke is looking very promising for her senior year. 

Indoor track has just ended and many who participated in it have moved on to outdoor track, like Ludtke. They will be continuing most of the same races and practices indoors.