Nala Shearer
Nala Shearer
Editor-in-Chief

Nala Shearer is an Editor-in-Chief of the Prowler for the 2023-2024 school year. It is her second, and final, year in journalism, as she is a senior. Aside from devoting her heart and soul to journalism,...

Students Make the Most of Their Summers

By: Kyle Hilss

Although this summer was short, many students did interesting things to make the most of it.

Seniors Olivia Tilson, Oishani Basu, and Grace Rollins went to Governor’s School, for social sciences, biology, French, respectively.

At biology school, Basu liked that there were a lot of hands-on activity like labs. These labs included DNA extraction, and gel electrophoresis. In addition, they took field trips to local hospitals and rehabilitation centers.

“We went to the local hospital in Lynchburg and talked to a genetic counselor,” Basu said. Basu says she is going to put this experience on her college application.

Rollins enjoyed French school, but found it difficult at first to speak only in French.

“I was really nervous because I didn’t know if I would be able to speak all in French for three weeks,” she said. “But all of the professors were hilarious, and I made a lot of really good friends. I had a blast.”

Activities at French Governor’s School’s included hikes and making crepes.

Tilson enjoyed her time at Governor’s School for social sciences and the humanities. The classes she took included a magazine class wherein students created a magazine encouraging others to get into politics. She also took an ethics class that focused on ethics in comic books, and an array of electives such as yoga, self-defense, round table discussion, and a service project. She also enjoyed political lecturers and discussions.

“I really enjoyed the lectures we had,” she said. “Students were really engaged and most lectures turned into discussions.”

Other students participated in acts of charity over the summer. Senior Alison Stalnaker went to Haiti to help children, and Junior Blake Allen went to West Virginia to help flood victims.

alison-stalnaker
Senior Alison Stalnaker smiles with Haitian kids while on a service trip. Photo courtesy of Alison Stalnaker

In Haiti, Stalnaker visited a group of kids to minister to them and helped them clean up a compound. She made the eight-day trip with an organization of young adults and teenagers called The Awakening that does charity work. Stalnaker would play games with the kids and tell them stories.

She said the kids, “Were the most loving people I’ve ever met in my life. I learned that all that really matters is our relationship with people and how we treat others. Plus the kids were really cute.”

Junior Blake Allen travelled to White Sulfur Springs, WV with his church to help flood victims in July. He helped renovate houses by removing damaged walls and flooring to make it easier for the flood victims to rebuild.

“It was devastating,” Allen said, adding that the victims “were very appreciative and were glad we came to help them.