RCHS Reopens as a Center for SAT/ACT Tests

RCHS hosts the ACT on Dec. 12 in the gym.

Grace Frascati, Head Managing Editor

Following the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, SAT and ACT test centers were closed, and test dates were canceled. For some seniors, this meant that they could not take the SAT or ACT before applying to college. As a result of the closings, several colleges have become test-optional, meaning that students can submit their scores if they want to, but they are not required. RCHS was one of the test centers that shut down during the pandemic, and the SAT and ACT dates scheduled at RCHS over the summer were canceled. However, RCHS has recently reopened as a test center, allowing students to take the test if they wish to. School counselor Rhonda Pedigo is one of the ACT and SAT proctors who has been administering the tests since the reopening of RCHS as a test center.

“This year, we have already offered the SAT three times,” said Pedigo. “We will offer it again in March, May, and June of 2021. After this Saturday, we will have offered the ACT twice this fall. The ACT will also be offered again in the spring.”

Although testing has resumed, there are now strict safety regulations in place for test-takers to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, while still offering students access to testing. Some safety precautions including screening questions, temperature checks, and mask policies.  

“Students and proctors are screened as they come in, and their temperatures are taken,” said Pedigo. “Students must wear masks for the entire time and socially distance during breaks. Desks of test-takers must be more than six feet apart.”

To ensure that desks can be spaced more than six feet apart, the SAT and ACT tests take place in the RCHS gym. The safe spacing also results from the sheer number of students testing. 

“In the past, we have had 15 to 25 students testing in classrooms instead of the gym.  We use up to three to five classrooms,” said Pedigo. “Usually we have over 40 to 60 students test. This fall we have not had more than 17 tests on any given test. I think this is due to more colleges being test-optional.”

Senior Joseph Sailor was one of the students that opted in for testing after the reopening of the test center. Sailor took the SAT in November. 

“I hesitated to take it at first because so many places are test-optional now. I decided to take it just in case I do well on it. I guess the score is nice to have,” said Sailor. “I’m glad that I took it.”

Sailor had to follow the previously mentioned testing protocols for safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“It was a little annoying having to wear a mask while taking such a long test; however, I’m just glad that they were still able to have the test,” said Sailor. “I felt safe while testing, and even on test breaks, students kept their masks on and socially distanced themselves. Overall, I would recommend just taking the test if you are thinking about it. It’s a good opportunity.”