Boys’ Tennis Adds a Familiar Face as Head Coach

Courtesy of Holden Branham

Branham, playing for The RCHS Tennis Team at the time, serving the tennis ball during a match.

Blake Allen, Visual Editor

This season, the ‘Cats’ boys’ tennis team has welcomed a new head coach, Holden Branham, following the departure of previous head coach, Christopher Hu.

Branham is a 2012 RCHS alum who played for the tennis team where he believes he had a successful career, a career he continued at Roanoke College.

“I feel as if I had a great career at RCHS with winning districts as a team all four years I played, as well as winning the district doubles championship as a junior and senior in a competitive district and region,” said Branham.

After coaching at a tennis facility in northern Virginia and starting his own tennis business in Lexington, Branham is excited about this new opportunity.

“I took this job because I’ve wanted to become a tennis coach at any level and, especially wanted to take this job because I once played at RCHS and could never get past regions as a team,” said Branham. “I would like to help build a team that can finally get over that hump and get to states, therefore, it’s a great feeling being able to coach the school I once played for.”

In his first-year coaching, Branham thinks he has several aspects that he can bring to the team.

“I’ve played at the high school level, as well as the collegiate, and I know how to develop a player’s game and bring out their full potential,” said Branham.

In going into this season, Branham has goals for himself, as well as the team.

“My main goal in my first season is to try and help each player reach their full potential, and my goals for the team would be building the team chemistry and playing competitive matches, and ultimately win the district title,” said Branham.

After completing his fourth-year of tennis, Senior Shane Kearney will have been coached by three head coaches: Bill Oliver (2015), Christopher Hu (2016-2017), and Branham (2018).

“I look for someone who interacts with their players individually and motivates them/works with them to be the best player possible,” said Kearney. “I hope Branham develops all of our strokes and motivates us to work as a cohesive unit to be successful this year.”