7th Graders Skip to Freshman Year

Hallie Darmante, Reporter

While everyone has been impacted by the transition from virtual school to in-person learning, the Class of 2026 felt the weight of this circumstance more than other students. On April 17, 2020 students left the school building expecting to come back within two weeks. However, this supposed hiatus became a two year long wait and they now return to school as freshmen. While some students attended hybrid learning in the last school year, this short time did not prepare this class for the realities of high school.                                                                                                                              

Freshmen Bri Roberts and Jack Jensen explain their transition from middle school to high school.  “It was a really big adjustment for me going from a small middle school to RCHS,” said  Roberts. 

“The first week was really stressful, especially since last year the school days weren’t as long,” Jensen. “However, I am excited to be back in school. Not only is the learning by experience better, but I get to see people I haven’t in a while. My hopes and goals for this year are to meet new people, try new things, and have successful athletic seasons.” 

These freshmen did not have the chance to be properly prepared for high school’s challenging courses, the heavier workload, or the increased demands for extracurriculars, including sports seasons. 

Freshman Madilyn Winterton touches on this topic further.

“I hope to go far in all the sports I’m playing this year, especially basketball. I would like to improve our basketball program so we can go far and be great,” said Winteron. 

The current freshmen are coming directly from their experiences in 7th grade and have been thrust into the high school atmosphere. “I personally don’t feel like a freshman. Even a couple years ago I thought freshmen in high school looked so big. Now that I’m finally here, it feels weird,” said Jensen. 

“To be completely honest, I do feel like a freshman because half the time I’m not sure where I’m going or what I’m doing but it’s getting better. I have loved making new friends and can’t wait to see what the rest of my freshman year will be like,” said Winteron. 

The current freshman class has been through a lot of change, however they seem to be handling these challenges exceptionally well and embracing the new opportunities that high school provides despite being stripped of their middle school experiences.