Hybrid Review

Evan Roney, Reporter

By: Evan Roney

RCHS has developed an effective system to continue in-person teaching while upholding student safety. The use of a temperature check on every student upon entry to the school is an effective way of keeping those who may have COVID-19 from infecting others. Teachers are required to wipe the desks after every period and have students sit six feet apart. There are also rotating restrooms for teachers and students. Another precaution taken was the use of designated stair wells for going up and down. Students must also walk on the right side of the hallway to avoid close contact. Masks are a requirement throughout the school day, with the only exception being lunch. The school has made efforts to minimize exposure and have rules in place to prevent the spread of the virus.

As a student who attended hybrid for two weeks, I noticed many differences from normal years. The classes have much less students, my smallest containing one other student. My experience with most classes consists of opening my chrome book and working on what was assigned in Google Classroom. The only difference in learning I found while attending hybrid schooling was that in some classes, the teacher talks to you and says what would be said in the daily video. The teaching itself was very similar to fully virtual schooling, with the exception of seeing friends in person (although it is uncommon because most have stayed virtual). 

Due to the lack of benefits, I feel that online school is preferable as it allows for me to have much more flexibility when I do work. I am able to complete work for my classes much quicker than I could at school, giving lots of free time to practice hobbies such as running and learning an instrument. 

Virtual learning also provides a reduced risk of contracting COVID-19 while still allowing students to participate in school sports. In my opinion,the benefits of virtual school outweigh those of in-person. If it were an option, I would choose virtual learning outside of the pandemic because it allows me to enjoy my hobbies and explore my interests. Virtual learning provides a stress free environment which allows learning at my own pace, it also provides opportunity to take breaks and overall is much more beneficial than in person learning.