The Supreme Court Case That Could End Abortion In The US

An anti-abortion sign held by Reagan Woody saying: Let their hearts beat. Get rid of Planned Parenthood.

Reagan Woody , Opinion Editor

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

Eleanor Dare recently wrote an opinion article opposing this topic. Her article can be found here.

In the United States, our right to life is protected by the United States Constitution. This means that no one, including our government or any other person, can deliberately end your life. Under this Constitutional promise, we are also protected by the government if our lives are at risk or threatened. 

Despite this protection we have, every day in the United States 2,363 innocent children’s lives are ended by abortion. Sounds unbelievable, right? How in the world is this horrid act legal? Well, the sad reality is that abortion is legal in every state in the United States, with each state having at least one abortion clinic. 

Abortion is the deliberate termination of a pregnancy, which in the end purposely kills a living child in the womb. The legality of abortion is a direct violation of the Constitutional right to life that we are promised, and that is why it is so important to fight and protect these unborn children. Since 1973, our world has lost over 60 million innocent lives due to the horrors of abortion. According to Live Action, today alone, our world will lose approximately 2,363 lives, as every 89 seconds a life is taken, specifically at a Planned Parenthood Abortion Clinic. 

Legal abortions were made possible in 1973, due to the Supreme Court Case Roe v. Wade. Roe v. Wade struck down protective laws against abortion and declared it a women’s right to have the ability to choose what she wished to do with her pregnancy, without interference from the government. But this all could change, as the Supreme Court heard a case concerning abortion laws on Dec. 1, 2021. 

Dobbs v. Jackson’s Women’s Health Organization was presented to the U.S. Supreme Court, challenging an anti-abortion law in Mississippi that bans abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The Supreme Court will be deciding whether or not this law is constitutional, and whether or not similar laws can be passed in other states. 

If the Supreme Court were to successfully overturn Dobbs v. Jackson’s Women’s Health Organization, then it would also transfer power over to state governments to allow them to decide on what abortion laws they wish to enact. Depending on how the court rules on this case, Virginians could see a change in state laws concerning abortion access. 

This would be an amazing win for pro-life Virginians, such as myself, as if the power was turned over for state governments to decide abortion laws, governor-elect Glenn Youngkin promises to “go on offense for the rights of the unborn” when inaugurated into office early January 2022.  

In the state of Virginia, it is currently legal to be able to access an abortion procedure up to 25 weeks into a pregnancy, which is about five and a half months, and well into a pregnancy’s second trimester. By this time, an unborn child can measure to be about nine inches long and weigh about one and a half pounds. An unborn child’s brains, lungs, and digestive system are now formed, and fetuses can respond to light and sounds.

With the conservative lean that the Supreme Court currently holds, past actions by Chief Justice John Roberts, Justice Clarence Thomas, Justice Samuel Alito, Justice Neil Gorsuch, Justice Brent Kavanagh, and Justice Amy Coney Barrett have all shown them to be supporters of anti-abortion laws. On the other hand, Justice Stephen Breyer, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, and Justice Elena Kagan have been shown in the past to fight for the pro-choice side, and try to provide more room for abortion “freedom.” 

I have high hopes that this case will be a key win for the pro-life movement, because of the 6-3 conservative lean that the Supreme Court currently has. There is one thing that is clear: Roe must go as abortion in ALL cases and no matter the reason, is a human rights violation. This is also the first major case concerning abortion to be heard at the Supreme Court following the death of pro-choice Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg, a supporter of abortion “rights.” After her death, Ginsberg was replaced by pro-life Justice Amy Coney Barrett, who promises to take action against “on-demand” abortion access. 

Before the Supreme Court case was presented, I had seen on social media platforms (specifically Instagram) pro-choice groups try to justify abortion by using a few arguments. Many of the big arguments I have seen raise concerns about bodily autonomy, “abortion is healthcare”, fetal abnormalities, “safe abortion” and the “it’s just a clump of cells!” argument. 

First, I would like to address the infamous “My Body, My Choice” that deals with bodily autonomy concerns. Many pro-choice people like to argue the phrase “My Body, My Choice” and therefore believe that they hold the decision to keep or terminate a pregnancy. I would like to begin by defining bodily autonomy, which can be defined as “the right to make decisions over one’s own life.” But stop and think: Does your body have four arms, four eyes, two hearts, and two separate sets of DNA? No, it does not, because a fetuses’ body is separate from a mother’s body, and therefore not her own body. A phrase associated with this argument that I have heard is “bans off our bodies!” But there is no ban on your body, rather there should be a ban on ending another’s human life. Therefore, if a mother chooses to end that child’s life, she is violating that child’s Constitutional right to life.

Secondly, I wish to debunk the “abortion is healthcare” argument. This is one of the most popular pro-abortion arguments that I hear, as many people advocate for abortion access as they believe it is “essential healthcare.” According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, healthcare can be defined as “the prevention or treatment of illness by doctors, dentists, psychologists, etc.” Now, stop and think. Does abortion meet the definition of healthcare? Absolutely not, as it is the exact opposite. The deliberate termination of a child’s life is by no means preventing or treating an illness. 

Up next, I would like to debunk the argument that deals with abnormalities in fetal children. For example, 67 percent of pregnancies that have a prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome end in abortion. I find this highly upsetting, because why should babies with certain health conditions have the option to have their lives terminated just because of it? They should be protected, as this is once again breaking the Constitutional promise of the right to life. No matter what health conditions a child is born with, they should be loved and protected regardless. An individual’s health condition does not take away from the fact that we are all human. 

The final argument I would like to debunk is the “A fetus is just a clump of cells! It’s not even alive or human yet!” argument. First, 95 percent of biologists agree that life begins at fertilization, so a fetus is alive. For another example, an unborn child’s heartbeat can usually start to beat at six weeks into a pregnancy, and this is a sign of life. The term

While in the womb, children are at different developmental stages than other people outside the womb, but in the end are still human.
PC: Let Them Live

fetus is Latin for “young child”, and it is dehumanizing to say that unborn children are “not human”, “just clumps of cells,” or “not alive.” When you say an unborn child is just a clump of cells, think about it: we are too. Humans outside the uterus are the same as humans in the uterus, just at different developmental stages. Unborn children are human too and have the same human rights as anyone else. 

Now, I understand that there are many struggles associated with pregnancy, and issues such as single parenting, income issues, and many more. But once more, these issues give absolutely no right to end a human life. The circumstance that a child is brought into the world by should never lessen the protections that they Constitutionally have. This is why pregnancy resource centers exist, to help deal with unplanned pregnancy situations. 

In Rockbridge County, our local pregnancy resource center is ComfortCare Women’s Health Clinic, located at 631 Waddell Street in Lexington. The goal of the local ComfortCare is to help local mothers prepare and aid them along in their unplanned pregnancy journey, and guide mothers away from the choice of abortion. 

According to ComfortCare’s website, the center has served the Shenandoah Valley for over 38 years, and in 2020 alone they assisted 198 women in their unplanned pregnancies. ComfortCare provides many different services to women including pregnancy testing, pregnancy confirmation, medical consultation, and pregnancy options counseling. 

Our local ComfortCare center assists women by guiding women throughout their pregnancies, and also providing resources to help benefit a growing family. ComfortCare also has programs designed to support women spiritually and emotionally through their pregnancies. Another service that ComfortCare provides is guidance and counseling for making decisions about adoption. Adoption is a beautiful gift to other families, and ComfortCare aids pregnant women who chose that option.

Lexington VA local pregnancy resource center: ComfortCare Women’s Health located at 631 Waddell Street.
PC: ComfortCare Women’s Health

However, one of my favorite things that ComfortCare offers women is an abortion recovery and support group program called the HEART program. Here, women who have had abortions are guided to help relieve the sorrow and grief behind those past decisions. Regardless of your view on abortion, anyone who is struggling post-abortive is welcome to join. 

Though it will take the Supreme Court approximately three months to settle this court case, the pro-life movement continues on in their fight to end abortion. For now, I hope I will be able to return here to write an article presenting the news that Roe v Wade has been overturned, and that abortion is illegal. In the meantime, many anti-abortion events will take place in the upcoming months. 

Along with Dobbs v. Jackson, the annual March For Life will take place in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 21, 2022. This is an amazing opportunity to show support to the pro-life movement, as over 75,000 people attended to use their voices to fight for the unborn’s right to life.

Another way to get involved in the pro-life movement is to discover your local pregnancy resources centers, and find ways to actively support them. At our local ComfortCare, you can give donations to support their efforts to help pregnant women here

If you are looking to learn more about the truth of abortion and how to argue against it, then I would recommend checking out Live Action’s Pro-Life Replies E-Course. I found this course to be an eye-opening learning experience, and it taught me how to argue against pro-abortion arguments with pro-life responses.