A Guide to Making the Best of Lexington in the Spring

A view of House Mountain during one of its spring sunrises.

Ella Vaught, Editor-in-Chief

Spring has sprung in Lexington, and the residents are once again getting outside as the town starts to look alive again. After a long winter, residents and students alike have gotten out and about, walking around downtown, taking advantage of the walking trails, and hiking adventures throughout the county. In this guide, you will learn about the best kept secrets in Rockbridge County. 

First up is the various walking trails throughout the county. From the Woods Creek Trail to the Chessie, these are perfect spots to go for a run, ride a bike, or take a walk with some friends; you may even run into some on the way!

Next, Cole Mountain is a beautiful and easy hike for beginners and advanced alike. Once you have reached the top of Cole Mountain, there is a gorgeous 360° view of the mountain ranges across the county. The hike takes only about 1 hour round trip, with an access road as well if you don’t feel like hiking.

For a quaint picnic spot, the Washington and Lee back campus gazebo is the perfect spot. A short walk from campus, start at the W&L athletics fields and walk back towards the white house. You’ll come to the gate and continue walking past a large grey house. Once past the house, you will see the little gazebo sitting on the edge of a hill. Perfect for hammock naps, lunch with friends, or just enjoying the outdoors, this is a secluded jewel of Lexington, frequented by both the RCHS and W&L Outing Clubs.

If you’re looking for something else to do besides hiking or walking, Season’s Yield Farm in Raphine is your next spot. Offering “Bread Days” every other Saturday, customers have the opportunity to buy freshly baked bread, pizzas, or fresh coffee while enjoying the small farm with close friends. On select Bread Days, vendors come and set up in the field, offering various goods from quilts to honeys to paintings and cards. These days are the best to bring your friends with, as you can enjoy a light breakfast at lunch while browsing through different vendors or sitting and chatting with loved ones.

Finally, for the nights when it’s just too cold to be outside, the Blue Ridge Parkway is an excellent spot. Once on the parkway, both the House Mountain Overlook and the Buena Vista Overlook are great spots to sit and watch the sunset. If it is too cold, you can sit in your car at a pull off to watch, or if it’s warm enough, you can set up some blankets and watch from one of the most beautiful seats in the county.