Indoor Track Dashes to begin their season

Freshman+Fisher+Howald+and+Sophomore+Madeline+Swisher+stretch+before+going+to+practice.+

Drew Potter

Freshman Fisher Howald and Sophomore Madeline Swisher stretch before going to practice.

Drew Potter, Reporter

The RCHS indoor track team began their season on Nov. 14. There are both boys and girls teams in this sport. The girls’ team has 8 girls participating and the boys have 16 players.

For practices, the runners are performing important drills, such as ones that challenge their speed and endurance as well as stretches to warm up. While it depends on the category a runner is partaking in, most of these athletes do a series of ab workouts and distance running during practice as well.  As of Dec. 1, no captains for either team have been announced. At the end of practices, some players stay after to work on other things, including core and strength workouts.

Junior Deena Ludtke shares her expectations for the season.

“One thing that I am really hoping for is for everyone towards the end of the season to have better personal records than the beginning, ” said Ludtke.

Sophomore Madeline Swisher, a new runner shares her expectations for the season.

“As a new runner and new to the team, my expectations are to have fun, meet new people, and build speed and stamina,” said Swisher. 

Senior Andrew Brannon explains his season expectations.

“My season expectations are race wise, I performed really well in cross country and I am hoping that it will carry over,” said Brannon. “One major thing however is that I am mostly trying to avoid getting sick so that I can work on getting faster in preparation for spring season outdoor track.”

Brannon also plans for the 800 meter dash.

“If we have the 800m dash, we will for sure make it to regions,” said Brannon.

Senior Brian Kendall explains his expectations for the season.

“I am hoping to make states with the boys 4×800 relay and break five minutes on my mile time,” said Kendall. 

Freshman Fisher Howald states his perspective on the team.

“I think that we have a pretty good team this season and will have an overall great season,” said Howald. 

The teams are scheduled to have their first meet at Liberty University on December 16. Following that, they will be  at Virginia Military Institute(VMI) for two meets scheduled on January 7 and January 21. The indoor track teams will have their last meet at Liberty University on January 28. 

As Brannon stated above, the team is sure to make regions. Be sure to attend the first meet at VMI to watch the Wildcats’ Indoor Track. For more information on the Cats’ running visit https://rockbridgeathletics.com/.