Eliot McDonald
Eliot McDonald
Broadcast Editor

Junior Eliot McDonald is the staff videographer for the Prowler staff  but also loves writing articles of many kinds. In this coming year of Journalism, McDonald wants to expand his repertoire of writing...

Ugly Sweaters Emerge as Christmas Traditions

Opinion
Photo from theguardian.com

Ugly Christmas sweaters have been on the rise ever since the release of a well known Christmas movie.  “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” marked the commonality of Christmas sweaters, showing people that they were a great way of showing “Christmas spirit” and cheer.

There’s something about ugly and itchy Christmas sweaters that emulates what we need around the holidays: a warm and an unserious joyful feeling. Christmas season can be very stressful, so having an easy, joyful way to spread happiness is super cool. Also, Christmas sweaters can just make someone smile, and make someone’s day. We always get a laugh when someone wears the most horrendous looking Christmas sweater.

We think that tacky Christmas sweaters are a great way for people to connect with each other, and to see who has the most “ugly” or “tacky” sweater. We also enjoy that it’s a great way to remind people of some Christmas movies like “Elf” or “Home Alone” that have the main characters on the sweater. 

Many sweaters aren’t even holiday themed, they can have references to other media like movies, books or shows, or other pop culture references; they don’t need to be holiday-themed to work as an ugly Christmas sweater.  Some Christmas sweaters also have dad jokes on them, which can add another layer of humor to the ugly sweater. The ugly Christmas sweater is a diverse fashion item, and should not be discounted.

An ugly Christmas sweater party is a popular type of function around the holidays for friends and families alike, bringing people together to celebrate the holidays. Many people get together to show off their ugly sweaters, and often hold a contest for which party guests have the ugliest or most entertaining/amusing.

Ugly Christmas sweaters are a deserving staple of the Christmas season. Overall it’s a great way to get into the holiday mood, adding to the cheer of Christmas. And they’re a great way to bring people together during the holiday season.