Jackson Speers is a senior at Rockbridge County and a first year reporter for the Prowler. Speers is stoked to be on the journalism team and is ready to, “drop some heat.” He’s a part of Rockbridge’s...

Clash Royale Rises in Popularity

Graphic of Clash Royale Cards Created on Canva
by Gardner Clement and Jack Jensen
Graphic of Clash Royale Cards Created on Canva by Gardner Clement and Jack Jensen

A game that has gained immense popularity among the students of Rockbridge is Clash Royale. This SuperCell developed game released in 2016, it is a strategic game to take out enemy towers. 

There are many different cards to use in clash royale, and many different assortments of cards to use in a deck. In this article, we will discuss how to play clash royale as well as our favorite cards to use in each rarity and our thoughts on evolution cards. 

The Basis of Clash Royale is to take enemy towers using decks of cards. Each deck is composed of 8 cards, so it’s very strategic of which cards to pick. Some players pick decks thematically, and some pick cards that they enjoy using. 

In Clash Royale, there are 5 rarities of cards: common, rare, epic, legendary, and champion. In your deck, you can use as many common, rare, epic, or legendary cards as you want. However, you can only use one champion per deck. 

Our favorite common card is Elite Barbarians. Elite Barbarians provide a ton of damage with very strong health. They are very hard to stop and are a force to be reckoned with. Costing six elixir, Elite Barbarians are a very strong offensive card to add to your deck. 

Our favorite rare card is Hog Rider and Mini P.E.K.K.A. Hog Rider is very fast and rushes straight to enemy towers. Hog Rider is a very aggressive, offensive card with lethal  damage and good health. Mini P.E.K.K.A. is a mini-tank (a card that’s hard to take down) that strikes with a lot of damage. This card is very versatile; it can be used to stop an enemy push, or start a push of your own. Mini P.E.K.K.A is very cheap, only costing 4 elixr. Overall, Mini P.E.K.K.A. is one of the best value cards in the game.

Our favorite epic cards are Dark Prince and Skeleton Army. 

Dark Prince is a card to use in a deck for a few reasons. One, it has a shield, so it can withstand a lot of damage from cards that do a lot of damage. It also dashes and moves quicker to cards or towers which make it versatile. 

Skeleton Army is a great card because it is a pretty cheap swarm card that can take out very expensive tanks like P.E.K.K.A. 

Our favorite legendary card is either Megaknight or Electro Wizard (E-Wiz). 

Megaknight is a large tank that costs 7 elixr. When you place Megaknight, it falls on enemy troops, causing them damage. Megaknight is primarily a defensive card, but is useful in the counter-attack game. 

Electro Wizard is a great defensive card option. This card shocks enemy troops and causes them to freeze momentarily. Although Electro Wizard doesn’t have a lot of damage, it is very useful in stopping enemy pushes. 

Our favorite champion is Little Prince. Little Prince is a card that recently got added to the game, and it has an interesting mechanic. It is a 3 elixir card, so it is pretty cheap. Then, it has a 3 elixir ability in which another “prince” flies out of nowhere and moves any card back and does a good bit of damage. It is a super annoying card to play against and pretty hard to counter on defense, but on offense. 

Evolution cards are a relatively new feature to Clash Royale. Evolutions provide specific cards with different mechanics, and make the card better and harder to defend. Some evolutions occur after 1 cycle, and 2 cycles. They have provided a nice, new element to the game. 

Only a few cards have an evolution feature. You can only use 1 evolution per deck until you reach level 55 on King’s Journey, in which you can have 2 per deck.

Overall, there are many fun cards to use in Clash Royale, and many strategies to help win the game. Clash Royale is one of our favorite games to play and we recommend it for everyone else!