Stephen Wells
Stephen Wells
Arts & Style Editor

Senior Stephen Wells is a 3rd year reporter who avidly authors ‘film-bro’ movie reviews and edits arts and styles articles during Rockbridge’s Prowler class. Wells is attempting to make an imprint...

Sabrina Carpenter releases 5th studio album

On July 15, 2022, American singer and songwriter, Sabrina Carpenter, released her 5th studio album, “emails i cant send”. While the original album is 39 minutes long and has 13 tracks, her deluxe version “emails i can’t send fwd:”, released on March 17 2023, additional 4 songs bringing the album to 51 minutes long.

The album had 5 singles, “skinny dipping”, “Fast Times”, “Vicious”, “because i liked a boy”, and “Nonsense”. All the singles except “Vicious” had a music video.  The album “emails I can’t send” peaked at 23 on US billboard 200. 

Carpenter signed to island records in 2021, previously, Carpenter was signed to Hollywood Records. She released 4 studio albums, “Eyes Wide Open”, “EVOLution”, “Singular Act l”, and ”Singular Act ll” under Hollywood Records.

Carpenter is most famously known for her role as Maya on girl meets world. However, during 2021 fans noticed the love triangle between Olivia Rodrigo, Sabrina Carpenter, and Joshua Bassett, causing them to blow up on Tiktok. Resulting in a lot of exposure for the singer. She released “Skin” Jan. 22, 2021. Fans think this was in retaliation to Olivia Rodrigo’s “drivers license”. Although, it seems Carpenter and Rodrigo are on good terms as of 2023.

My personal favorite on the album is “Tornado Warnings”. “Tornado Warnings” has a catchy chorus and the lyrics are relatable . The song is about a toxic relationship and how she’s ignoring the red flags of her partner. She states in this song “I’m lying to my therapist” about seeing this person and her feelings towards them.

“emails i can’t send” is also a really good song. It discusses family relationships and how she has trouble forgiving her dad for committing adultery although her mom already has. “When I’m forty-five, someone calls me their wife And he [ruins] our lives in one selfish night Don’t think I’ll find forgiveness as fast as mom did” this lyric shows she’s worried that in her future relationships she will always assume the worst and doesn’t want the same fate as her mother. 

I think this song is really good because it’s very direct and she’s so vulnerable in her songs. People love to sympathize with celebrities and know everything about their life.

Another favorite of mine is “opposite”. This song is about an ex’s new girlfriend. This song is very relatable for her target audience because this happens to teenagers. My favorite lyrics is “If you wanted brown eyes, I coulda got contacts”. I really like this lyric because it shows she would have done anything he wanted.

“emails i can’t send” is a great album overall and is definitely one of my favorite 2023 releases. This album is available on all streaming platforms.