RCHS Heads Back

Grace Shaw, Social Media Manager

On Jan. 19, students at Rockbridge County High School started in-person hybrid learning. Since then, students and teachers alike have had to adjust to the changes. With half of the student body staying full time virtual and the other half only going two days a week, everyone is making changes to figure the new schedule out. Along with that, faculty and staff have had to figure out how to make in-person learning effective while still keeping everyone safe. 

When it comes to learning, most students and staff are happy that they have returned to the building and can interact face to face. English teacher Ashlee Payne 

“I have missed them so much,” said Payne. “I’ve been going home much happier at the end of the day,” said Payne.

After waiting 5 extra months to begin high school, freshman Sophie Vaught was joyful to return to school.

“I was excited to be back in school,” said Vaught.

“It was exciting to be able to see friends and people I haven’t seen since March,” said Vaught. “I enjoyed finally meeting my teachers.”

Another student, Braden Hamilton went back to school Jan. 19. 

“I was excited about a change because I was getting bored with having every day be the same,” said Hamilton.

Hybrid learning brings a different set of challenges and experiences. In-person students wear masks all day, with the exception of lunch and mask breaks. They start every day with a temperature check at the door, and then head straight to their first period. Up and down stairwells are clearly marked, and students stick to one side of the hallway in between classes. In the classroom, desks are socially distanced and cleaned between every period. Only two people are allowed in restrooms at a time, and they switch between faculty and student use each day. Despite the restrictions, students still feel that they are getting more out of it. 

“In-person learning has gone well, as I think that it is much easier for me to learn while the teacher is there so I can receive feedback,” said Vaught. 

“In-person school has changed my learning by having more face-to-face instruction, which is better than teaching myself,” said Hamilton.

Teachers have had their own experiences since school started back.

Switching to hybrid hasn’t been too difficult,” said Payne. “It has been a bit harder to balance meeting with virtual students while teaching in-person.”

Returning to school has not been an easy feat, but Rockbridge County Public Schools are doing all they can to make the transition as simple and safe as possible.

“I think it is going well. I really enjoy having students back in the classroom,” said Payne.