Cash Cow Cash Out

Senior John Gregory accepting his 1st place award for winning the Cow-ABUNGA! logo design contest.

Braden Hamilton, Reporter

“Cow-ABUNGA!” is a local fundraising opportunity combining the efforts of several Rockbridge Community organizations alongside RCHS. It is being organized by a group called Blue Ridge Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children (CASA). According to CASA, the event “promises to be an excellent opportunity to showcase the community, encourage tourism, and promote the arts, all while raising funds for Blue Ridge CASA for Children.” 

Blue Ridge CASA for Children is a non-profit that recruits, trains, and supervises volunteers to advocate for children who have experienced abuse or neglect. In our region, over 300 children enter the foster care system annually. Blue Ridge CASA currently has the means to advocate for 124 of these children each year. Their ability to serve more children is directly tied to community awareness and support. According to the Blue Ridge CASA website, it costs $2,000 a year to sport one child. “Cow-ABUNGA!” will act as one of Blue Ridge CASA’s biggest fundraisers. 

The same organization put on a “Horsemania!” contest four years ago. At that time, according to RCHS art teacher Ms. Allen, Mrs. Apgar’s upper level art students participated in the logo contest and also created a design for a fiberglass horse.  The horse was purchased by a community member at the CASA auction and donated back to RCHS.  The horse currently resides in the perimeter of the RCHS courtyard. 

According to Rosanne Facciolo, the CASA Cow-ABUNGA! committee chair, “It just seemed like the right time to try another animal! And what better than a cow since so many are in Rockbridge County and “cowabunga” came out of the blue! In any event, it fits our fundraiser and brings a smile just to say the word!”

There are two ways RCHS is participating. First, the logo design contest. Mr. Hamelman’s Photojournalism I students, Mr. Tuttle’s Communication Systems classes, and both Ms. McKenzie’s and Ms. Allen’s art students all created designs for the logo contest. RCHS senior Photojournalism I student, John Gregory, won the logo contest. 

Facciolo described the logo as “the cowabunga hand sign used to express the awesomeness of catching waves, or as a greeting or goodbye.” 

Additionally, Ms. Allen’s upper level art classes will be painting a cow for the “Cow-ABUNGA!” Event. 

“We decided to participate in this event as CASA is a good organization and it is important to be community-minded as artists.” said Allen

Facciolo stated “Cow-ABUNGA!” will follow the “Horsemania!” timeframe- calling for artists and sponsors from Sept. to Dec. Local artist, Mark Cline will fabricate 16 cows and deliver them to the artists early in Jan. 2022. Artists will paint their cows January through May. Early May there will be a “Parade of the Cows” down Lexington’s Main Street. . The cows will then go to their designated locations in Buena Vista, Lexington, and Rockbridge County. During-Oct., they will be auctioned off at Maury River Middle School. Each cow was sponsored for $3,300. With 16 cows, CASA hopes to raise $53,000.