Could Abortion Laws Like SB-8 Come To Virginia?

Reagan+Woody+holding+a+pro-life+sign+that+reads++End+Abortion+Now.+Smaller+text+off+the+the+side+reads+%23wearetheprolifegeneration.+

Reagan Woody holding a pro-life sign that reads “End Abortion Now”. Smaller text off the the side reads “#wearetheprolifegeneration”.

Reagan Woody, Opinion Editor

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

Eleanor Dare wrote an opinion piece in opposition of the Heartbeat Act, found here.

On May 19, 2021 the governor of Texas, Greg Abbott (R), signed the SB-8 Bill into law, also known as the Texas Heartbeat Act. The Texas Heartbeat Act is designed to block abortion access six weeks past conception date. At about six weeks, a heartbeat can be detected in an unborn child. This is because the heart, a vital organ, is one of the first major organs to develop. I, myself, am pro-life and against all cases of abortion, and was personally thrilled when this law went into effect on Sept. 1, 2021. Personally, I believe life begins at fertilization and that all life is valuable and deserves the right to live outside the womb. I would love to see more laws restricting abortions come to Virginia, as over 16,000 children were aborted in Virginia last year. 

The fight to protect the unborn began Jan. 22, 1973, when Roe v. Wade was passed. The monumental Supreme Court Case declared that it was a women’s fundamental and constitutional right to chose whether or not to have an abortion. However, it is never stated in the Constitution that abortion is a right. Since Roe v. Wade was passed, our world has lost 60 million beautiful lives to abortion. Because of this enormous number, it is crucial that other states in the United States follow Texas, and adapt restrictive anti-abortion laws into place.

Current laws in Virginia state that abortion is legal up until 25 weeks of gestation, or at about five and a half months. Abortions are considered unlawful and illegal after the second trimester of a pregnancy unless it endangers the life of a mother, and in this scenario you must have recommendations from three doctors before having an abortion performed. If a minor is seeking to have an abortion, then both of their parents must be notified and give consent in order to have one performed. 

With Virginia’s 2021 Governors Election on the horizon, Republican Candidate Glenn Youngkin and Democratic Candidate Terry McAuliffe have differing opinions on whether or not the state should enact abortion laws similar to SB-8. Whoever is elected as Virginia’s new governor will have a major impact on what laws will be passed concerning abortion access in Virginia. While Glenn Youngkin is in favor of enacting anti-abortion laws if elected as governor, opponent Terry McAuliffe wishes to fight to keep abortion legalized, and not write in any new anti-abortion laws. 

Personally, I am in favor of Youngkin winning the 2021 Gubernatorial Election. I support his stances on abortion, and I feel like the actions he wishes to take if elected would benefit all Virginians, born and unborn. According to ABC 8 News in Richmond, Youngkin says that he is “unabashedly pro-life,” and will fight to defund Planned Parenthood in Virginia and make abortion illegal. 

In the first Governor Candidate debate on Sept. 16, Youngkin said,“Friends, together, all of us, we will protect the life of every Virginia child, born and unborn.” He continued saying, “I am pro-life. I believe in exceptions for rape, incest, and when the mother’s life is at risk. My opponent ignores the truth. He is the most extreme pro-abortion candidate in America today.” Says Youngkin.

Voting for Virginia’s Gubernatorial Election begins on Nov. 2, 2021. Absentee voting will begin on Friday Sept. 17, 2021. Along with the upcoming governor elections, Virginia’s March for Life was also held recently on Sept. 17 in Richmond, Virginia. The Virginia March for Life is an annual march that gathers people from all around Virginia to march for the rights of the unborn. It is estimated that over 600 Virginians attended the march.