Moreschi Directs VMI Play

Claire Moreschi

Moreschi directs practice at the high school play.

Grace Sailer, Editor-in-Chief

Junior Claire Moreschi took her passion for theater to the big stage by directing a play at VMI’s community theater.

Moreschi directed Let it Snow, an original play by RCHS alum Piper Blouin Foley-Schultz, which had its debut on Dec. 9, 10, and 11.

“It was a sequel to a show she wrote last year, and it’s like a Christmas rom-com in modern times,” said Moreschi. “Last year the writer, Piper, she directed it, but she has a newborn child, so she couldn’t direct it this year. She wanted someone younger to direct it because it’s very much a lighthearted, youthful show.”

VMI Community Theater sent out an email in September announcing auditions for Let it Snow and explaining that they needed a director. Moreschi responded to the email and landed the leadership role.

Moreschi first became involved with VMI’s Community Theater in the Spring of 2015.

“I was doing so many things [at RCHS]–I was doing marching band in the fall, and tennis in the spring–I didn’t have time to do theater here,” said Moreschi. However, Moreschi still wanted to act, and turned to VMI’s Community Theater as an alternative.

In addition to directing Let it Snow, Moreschi acted in VMI Community Theater’s Christmas at Mariposa Flat, a story in the 1850s based off of William O’Henry’s novels. Moreschi also participated in the high school play, and began practices for the VMI cadets’ rendition of The Three Musketeers. Moreschi would stay at the high school until 5:30 p.m. practicing, then would go to VMI at 7 p.m. to rehearse for Christmas at Mariposa Flat and Let it Snow, where she usually stayed until 9 p.m.. Practice for The Three Musketeers could go on for an additional hour or two. All in all, Moreschi had a busy schedule in the fall.

Moreschi enjoyed working with the cast of Let it Snow, which included RCHS teachers Kim Henk, Linda Gorman, and Joann Blouin.

“The cast ranged from a seventh grader to an eighty year old woman, and all of them listened to me and did as I asked,” said Moreschi. “And it was just really great to get that amount of respect, considering I’m 16.”

Moreschi also attended the Blackfriar Theater Camp in Staunton last summer, where she acted in and produced the music for Shakespeare’s Henry VIII and A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Ever since she was in elementary school, Moreschi has known she wanted to pursue a career in theater.

“The first show I was in was Oklahoma! Junior in fourth grade,” said Moreschi. “I sorta never really stopped since then. It’s what I want to do with my career and my life; like, I want to go major in theater in college. It’s kind of everything at this point.”

Moreschi is thankful for her supportive friends and family who encourage her to pursue her passion.

“My parents didn’t used to be as supportive of me being a theater major,” said Moreschi. “But they’ve figured out somewhere in the past few years that there’s no changing my mind.”