Dudley Appointed As New W&L President

Photo courtesy of W&L

Dudley became the new president of W&L. Photo courtesy of W&L

Kaizad Irani, Head Online Editor

Washington and Lee (W&L) University has named former provost and professor of philosophy at Williams College in Williamstown, MA, Will Dudley, as its 27th president. After former president Kenneth P. Ruscio announced his intention to step down from the presidency, the W&L Board of Trustees unanimously elected Dudley as the next president. He assumed his duties on Jan. 1, 2017.

A native of Virginia, Dudley was born in Charlottesville and spent his childhood in Arlington. Dudley attended Williams College from 1989-93 and earned his Bachelor of the Arts degree in mathematics and philosophy. He then earned his Masters and Doctorate degrees, both in philosophy, from Northwestern University. He joined the Williams faculty in 1998 and was named provost of the college in 2011.

“Washington and Lee is an outstanding, small, liberal arts university, which is the kind of educational institution where I feel at home,” said Dudley in an email interview. “It is never easy to leave a place you have lived in for 20 years. But I love Lexington and the surrounding area. The people here are so welcoming and have made me feel comfortable very quickly.”

Dudley said he believes that one of the main challenges facing higher education today is the cost. As tuition prices continue to increase, Dudley wants Washington and Lee to be known for generous financial aid packages and wants the university to be able to assist as many students as possible.

“The main challenge is making the highest quality education accessible to the most capable students, regardless of their family circumstances,” said Dudley. “We (Washington and Lee) offer generous financial aid so families across the income spectrum can afford to send their children to W&L. But we need to continue to be mindful of costs while also raising additional resources to ensure that the strongest applicants of all backgrounds can enroll and contribute to the university.”

Many students at W&L are excited to have Dudley as the new president and they feel that he has been very active in the community since he began his term.

“I had the chance to meet President Dudley shortly after he came to campus,” said Hannah Falchuk, a junior at Washington and Lee. “He seems really eager to talk to students about what issues at W&L motivate them. He also has been really visible on campus and seems genuinely interested in first, getting to know, and soon, leading the W&L community.”

Dudley said he hopes to begin his term as president by getting to know the students, faculty, staff and alumni as well as possible. Additionally, Dudley said he is excited to, not only work at Washington and Lee, but also to live and explore Lexington and Rockbridge County.

“I love small towns and mountains, so Lexington is a great fit for me. I like being able to walk to local shops and getting to enjoy the outdoors in such a beautiful setting,” said Dudley. “The hospitality of the people is greatly appreciated by a newcomer.”