Humphries design featured on Hull’s t-shirt

The new design features the old fashioned sound system used at Hulls

The new design features the old fashioned sound system used at Hull’s

Mary Wilson Grist, Reporter

This year, art teacher Lori Apgar assigned her Art 3 and Art 4 the project of creating a coloring book of popular places in Rockbridge County. Junior Brooke Humphries entered a drawing of Hull’s Drive-In movie theater for her project. Hull’s Drive-In in Lexington, Virginia is just one of seven drive-ins across the state, and is the nation’s first non-profit, community-owned drive-in theater.

“I chose Hull’s because my family goes to the drive-in multiple times every summer,” said Humphries.

When their coloring book project was complete, Apgar contacted Hull’s to see if they would be interested in selling the coloring books. The director saw Humphries’ drawing and asked if she would be willing to let Hull’s use the design for their t-shirts.

“When the directors of Hull’s saw my design, they asked if I could draw a more specific design for a t-shirt,” said Humphries.

After a few small alterations had been made to her original design, including the addition of her signature on the bumper of the car in the design, Hull’s recreated it on t-shirts and sweatshirts to sell at the theater this summer. Humphries received two t-shirts, a sweatshirt, four movie passes and a $25 gift card to the theater for her contribution to the Hull’s community.

Although Humphries’ original goal for her sketch of Hull’s was not to design a t-shirt, she does have plenty of experience doing so. Last year, for example, she designed the t-shirt for the Future Farmers of America donkey ball game that took place at the high school. Humphries hopes to continue using her artistic skills to contribute to organizations that she loves.

“I have a passion for art, and I believe that opportunities to help local organizations with my artwork is invaluable,” said Humphries.