Outing club climbs to new limits

Rodger Rinehart, Reporter

The outing club has been busy since the new year and has been able to take members on trips, including a day-long canoeing trip and rock climbing trip. Junior Ahmed Gharib had the opportunity to participate in a trip to Washington and Lee’s climbing wall. Gharib has been a part of the outing club since the beginning of this school year, and has enjoyed his experiences through in the club.

We went to W&L mountain climber in January. I enjoyed the trip so much because it was a different and new experience. The trip allowed me to get to know the American culture more and how different is their activities,” said Gharib. Outing club is one of the best clubs in our high school, and I’m so happy I’m a member,” said Gharib.

In January the outing club also took a trip to River Rock Climbing gym in Roanoke. Junior Sophia Youngdahl, who has been apart of outing club for a year now, joined the club for this trip and enjoyed her first time climbing.

“It was really fun and cool. It was kinda scary, but I knew I was safe the whole time,” said Youngdahl. “It was really cool because Peyton Ritter is really big on climbing, so she helped all of us and gave us pointers.”

Youngdahl was also able to learn from more experienced climbers around her. She also shared a few laughs with other first time climbers.

“I think we all kinda bonded over how bad we were at climbing,” said Youngdahl. “There were also some W&L people there, too, so it was cool to see how they climbed.”

Youngdahl has attended another outing club trips in the past and will continue to attend future trips.

“I went paddle boarding with them last year and I think I have gone on some hikes here and there,” said Youngdahl. “I would recommend outing club to anyone out there who enjoys going outside.”

The outing club is also getting ready for its second annual surf trip, which is May 19th through the 21st. Junior Peyton Ritter went on the surf trip last year and explained what the club did last time.  

“It’s really fun learning how to surf and the people who teach you are really chill and really nice. After you learn how to surf you can go out on your own or just chill on the beach with your friends. it’s fun,” said Ritter.

Ritter has already signed up for the trip and has expressed her excitement.

“My expectations are to have fun, bond with people and get a good tan,” said Ritter. “I will shred the nar.”