Badminton and Sausage Club Grills Up New Idea

Webster+returns+a+volley+at+a+club+event.+

Webster returns a volley at a club event.

Lily Moreschi, Reporter

This fall, RCHS gained a brand new club filled with original ideas and activities. The Badminton and Sausage Club was founded by juniors Brinson Mullis, Harry Richter, and Sammy Gregory after they heard about a previous attempt at starting a badminton club.

“I had planned at the beginning of the year to start a badminton club because I had heard they were trying to start it last year but they couldn’t get it off the ground, and then a couple of my friends thought is would be funny to make something called the ‘sausage club,’” said Mullis. “We decided to combine those ideas into one club.”

The Badminton and Sausage Club hosts monthly events at Jordan’s Point Park, where members have the opportunity to play badminton while enjoying freshly cooked sausages.

The club is led by a council of six students, composed of Mullis, Gregory, and Richter with juniors John Elrod, Adam Webster, and Peter Sailer. English teacher Michael Converse sponsors the club and thinks it provides the student body with a new and interesting opportunity.

“It’s a special interest club that lets its members enjoy time with their friends outside of school,” said Converse.

The Badminton and Sausage Club currently has 10 members. They plan to grow through word of mouth and the use of their Instagram (@bs.club.rchs). To raise funds and spread awareness, club members held fundraisers that fit in with the main elements of the club.

“We had a fundraiser where we sold hot dogs at the homecoming block party,” said Mullis. “It helped to expand knowledge of the club.”

While some students may think that the club is silly, the creators have a deeper and more meaningful plan for its role within the school.

“It provides a safe environment for people to get exercise and enjoy a home-cooked meal with their friends,” said Mullis. “It’s a healthy alternative to a lot of the other undesirable activities that high schoolers may endeavor in, like drugs and alcohol.”

Since badminton is an outdoor sport, events are currently paused for the winter but will resume in the early spring. When the spring season starts up, the Badminton and Sausage Club hopes to expand the club and make it a larger part of Rockbridge’s community.