Latin Students Attend First Practicum

Ejiuwa Abah, Reporter

The Latin students traveled to Richmond, Va. to attend the Virginia Junior Classical League  from Nov. 19 to Nov. 20.

This was the first time that the Latin students went to this convention. The idea to attend was brought on by seniors Charlotte Abry and Analise LaRiviere over a year ago after a summer at Latin governor’s school Latin.

“Analise and I heard about it from other kids and we really wanted to go so we asked Dr. Bradley if we could go and he said he would think about it, but it never really happened,” said Abry.

Latin teacher, Patrick Bradley, found out about the convention fifteen years ago, which was also around the same time that he started teaching at RCHS.

“We couldn’t go at that time because it was my first year and I was super busy. Plus, there was not a lot of student interest,” said Bradley.

Over the summer, junior, Charlie Mayock Bradley had gone to governor’s school for Latin and just like Abry and LaRiviere and had brought the idea up to Dr.Bradley.

“Since this was the second year in a row that students had begged for us to go to this convention, I just said ‘Okay, lets go this year’” said Bradley.

There was a variety of activities that students could participate in at the competition.

“The rule of the convention is that students have to pick a certain amount of activities including two tests. There was a range of activities that the students could choose from,” said Bradley.

Junior Rachel Maxwell chose to participate in a mottos test, a derivative test, and an art contest.

“I took four Latin mottos and a derivatives test which was very difficult” said Maxwell.

Abry took three tests, a spirit contest, and an impromptu art session.

“I took a lot of tests, but other people did oratory contests and wrote myth stories,” said Abry.

All the students were very excited for the convention, but students like Maxwell were a little nervous for this convention.

“I was kind of nervous since these kids come from prestigious schools and they are really into Latin” said Maxwell.

Overall, the students had a great time at the convention and plan to return to the convention next year.