Project Connection Expands Leadership Team

Kate Hentz, Layout Editor

A student run organization that strives to connect teens with children who have language and mental disabilities, Project Connection, is ready to start the school year with an expanded leadership team and an official non-profit status for the first time. The organization’s new president, senior Abby Hamilton, explained the necessity of expanding their leadership team.
“We have a board of seven people that are the core leadership team for Project Connection. Because we are a legitimate non-profit now, we are required to have a board with an odd number to vote on decisions, and we have to meet once a month,” said Hamilton.
In order to become an official non-profit organization, Projection Connection had to complete a form known as 501c 3 and have monthly board meetings.
“We started the actual legal paperwork in about April of last year, and then over the summer, it became official. Now all donations to Project Connection are tax deductible,” said Hamilton.
Hamilton had to create a secretary position for the leadership team to create a board of seven members and asked senior Marion Pearson to fill this role.
“Being the secretary is really cool because I get a lot of face to face interaction with people since my role requires me to get to know everyone on the team, and I love keeping things organized. It is something I have always enjoyed doing,” said Pearson. “It is also the best of both worlds, in that I get to work behind the scenes, but I still get to be a buddy partner at events, which I absolutely love.”
Below the board of the organization’s coordinators, there also is a team of small group leaders. Small group leaders are in charge of managing a group of teens and their buddies. Junior Isaac Conner, one of the new small group leaders, is excited to join the leadership team.
“I am looking forward to getting more involved and seeing how Project Connection functions,” said Conner. “Also, I am looking forward to connecting more with the other group members and trying to improve Project Connection in many ways.”
Below the small group leaders are the remaining members of the organization. This year, Project Connection received 66 student applicants and accepted all of them. These members will be placed in groups of two or three and paired with a “buddy”, a child with a language or mental disability. Project Connection will then hold monthly events for members and buddies to form connections through games, crafts, and scavenger hunts.
With many new changes to the organization, Hamilton is excited to spread the word about Project Connection and attract new members.
“Project Connection to me is all about building acceptance in a time when it is needed more than ever,” said Hamilton. “Project Connection helps people jump out of their comfort zones and discover relationships with teens they would not typically hang out with and kids they most likely would have never met. I can not wait for all the new members to experience this.”
Project Connection’s first buddy events will be held on Oct. 20 and Nov. 17. People who are interested in becoming involved can apply to in next year’s group, or can give a donation on projectconnectionpc.org which helps cover the costs associated with running the buddy events.