Behind-the-Scenes of a Wildcat Weekly

Seamus Looney filming an interview

Maxwell Pearson, Online Layout Editor

Every Friday, the students of RCHS eagerly anticipate the five minute break during the first period that is utilized to watch the new “Wildcat Weekly.” Broadcasted by The Prowler staff, each Wildcat Weekly features different people, events, sports, clubs, and news updates from the school to rejuvenate school spirit. Each episode is a sure crowd-pleaser that gives students a break from a grueling school day to entertain and inform them.

But what all is entailed in planning a “Wildcat Weekly?” How are they filmed and edited? Who all is involved and what are their roles? Here is a rundown on the process to deliver each episode to students schoolwide. 

The Prowler staff, the group of journalism students at RCHS, is split into three groups that are each responsible for producing one episode every three weeks. Each group is led by a senior staff member. Adam Elrod, Grace Shaw, and Blake Darmante each have their own week to produce and broadcast their group’s “Wildcat Weekly.” The whole process starts with a planning meeting with the team to brainstorm ideas and contact any sources needed for the topics of the videos. 

“We try to focus on news-worthy topics that are important and relevant to our school and community,” said Shaw.

Once the topics are decided on, the planning becomes more focused on specific details needed for the broadcast. The team has to decide the when and where of filming, what interviews are needed, and who is assigned what role. Two people in the group are chosen to “host” the episode, mimicking a host of a televised show. These people are the faces of the intro and outro of each video, the voice-over for many segments of the video, and they keep the videos moving along by continuing onto each topic. 

The other members of the group decide who will be interviewers and who will film segments. Interviews are used for the famous “Prowler Poll” which entails different students answering ironic and humorous questions on the spot. Additional interviews are filmed of people involved in the topic such as local residents, business owners, teachers, students, and administration. The interviewees answer a series of relevant questions to further inform the viewer on the subject matter. 

“Filming the Poll is always fun because the students never know what to expect so they have to answer the questions on the fly and say the first thing that comes to mind,” said senior Prowler member Seamus Looney.

Once the team is given roles, they do an inventory check to prepare for filming. They must go through an assortment of video cameras, microphones, tripods, and other devices to pick the best equipment for each segment. 

The team then spends the two weeks before uploading the video filming each segment used in the videos. This includes the intro and outro, interviews, and B-roll, which is secondary footage of short-shot, close-up details that give the viewer visual reference for what is being discussed. 

All of the footage is then sent back to the journalism classroom to be prepped for editing. The team uploads each clip from the SD cards in the cameras and organizes them in digital folders to make the revising process seamless. The team chooses the best footage, eliminating some shots, shortening others, and adjusting the lighting and audio for each. Then, the team uses a variety of video editing platforms to combine each clip into a “Wildcat Weekly” episode. Editors use secondary audio, captions, and transitions. to keep the viewer entertained and engaged.

Once the final video is ready, it is watched by several other members of The Prowler staff to ensure that each episode is professional and concise. After approval, the episode is uploaded onto The Prowler’s Youtube channel and website. An email is sent to the teachers every Friday morning with that week’s edition to share with the class. 

The “Wildcat Weekly” is a RCHS tradition that gives students a brief break in the school day to reward them for their hard work all while reinvigorating Wildcat Spirit.