Thank you, Coach Poston

Stephanie Mikels Blevins

Coach Mark Poston meets with Quarterback, Miller Jay during a game.

Eleanor Dare, Sports Editor

Mark Poston, beloved football coach and teacher at RCHS, is officially saying goodbye to the Rockbridge County football team. As head coach for six years, Poston led the ‘Cats to many victories and also guided them through losses. Coach Poston was an inspiration to many players and fellow coaches. 

Poston’s most successful season was the 2021 spring season. He led the ‘Cats 6-0 and became District Valley Champions. He was able to take a difficult season in a difficult time and made the ‘Cats into a powerhouse football team. Junior offensive lineman Braeden Hartbarger played under Poston for four years. 

“Playing under Poston gave me a stronger work ethic and made me an all around better player. While he is tough, he pushes you to your limits and does it so you become a better, stronger player” says Hartbarger. 

“He brought an energy to the program that we have never seen but we definitely needed. It turned us into a stronger team and a stronger program,” Hartbarger continued.

Previous coaches at RCHS were unable to bring the school much success. With records like 0-10 or 2-8. After the fall of 2016, Mark Poston stepped in and led the ‘Cats to a 6-5 season. Ever since then, he’s been changing and shaping RCHS football into a better team. 

Poston made a name for himself and made a name for the RCHS Wildcats. The football team was seen as underdogs in the valley. No one really knew the ‘Cats. Poston came in and revamped the team, he turned an underdog into a dominating team. This past season, the ‘Cats had a tougher time, going 5-6. 

Hartbarger says, “I think it was because we lost a ton of incredible athletes after they graduated. We had a really young team and that set us back a little bit. We also had covid issues and a lot of tough injuries. So it was a difficult season for us.” 

While Mark Poston was head coach, he had many others helping him bring this team to life. Heath Glass, Matt Rapoza, Travis Roadcap, Stu Rogers, Zach Rhodenizer, Malik Dunn, Brian Dietz, and Derek Carter. When asked to speak about Coach Poston, each and every coach had something to say about Poston and the coach he was. 

“Coach Poston brought a winning culture back to RCHS by focusing on no big long talks… the swagger he brought to the program was based on “not making 5 and 10” and intensity… His insane football knowledge and high-flying offensive system is and will always be renowned. His “legs feed the Wolves” mentality transformed us from an inherited 3 and 17 into a team that led the state in passing 4 years in a row and five consecutive playoff appearances,” said Assistant Football Coach, Matt Rapoza. 

Coach Poston was the coach that the football program needed. He took some beat up clay and shaped it into a much stronger team than ever before. 

“Most importantly, Coach Poston has a cogent ability to build relationships with players, coaches, officials and ultimately everyone that got to meet him. He attacked everything passionately. He is a great friend- a great mentor,” said Coach Rapoza. 

Junior, Isaiah Williams, has been coached by Poston for a few years now and he believes that Poston was the coach RCHS needed.

“Poston was a pretty old school coach; he’d tell you what you needed to hear and not what you wanted to hear. And in today’s world, I truly believe we need more people like him. I really do appreciate everything he taught me,” said Williams.

No matter how far he strays, Coach Poston will always be a vital and memorable part of Rockbridge County High School football.

Coach Rapoza and all the other coaches say, “We love the big guy and we wish him all the best.”

Below are some of Coach Poston’s biggest accomplishments: 

– Beating an undefeated TA team for the district championship on their field in the spring of 2021 

– The 2010 state runner up to Riverheads after beating Clintwood in 3′ of snow

– Beating Parry McCluer the past four times we have played them

– His stoic sideline presence

– His ability to quote Mouse Davis (co-founder of the Run-N-Shoot offense) on point.

– Shawn Christian

– Beating Spotswood 38-6 when Spotswood had the best coaching staff in the Valley.

– Making lifelong friends along the way