Food for Thought stocks the pantry

Baileigh Ramsey

Emma Bates donating to RCHS food drive.

Baileigh Ramsey, Reporter

Food for Thought Stocks the Pantry

Many events have taken place during the month of October at RCHS including sports games, homecoming preparation, and extracurricular activities. In addition, our school helps the community. 

RCHS has a food drive that helps the school in many ways. The main reason for this food drive was said by Madison Poulsen and Lee Carter. Poulsen and Carter are both leaders of the food drive.

“To help stock the food pantry before it launches. In particular, we needed canned chicken and chili, which was why we instituted a point system to give those items the most value,” said Poulsen and Carter.

Not only does the food drive help the school, it also helps the community. Having a food drive allows food to be given to people who need it the most. 

The most effective way to help people throughout the school is doing it in a kind way. Poulsen and Carter are helping students understand the impact the food drive has on the school. 

“The food drive helps combat food insecurity at our school by collecting donations for the anonymous food pantry. It also raised awareness about Food for Thought among the student body,” said Poulsen and Carter.

Our school also uses Food for Thought, which is a local food pantry in our community. “Food for Thought is a food pantry that provides meals for RCHS families through any anonymous order form. We work with combat food insecurity, which is the lack of reliable access to meals in your household. There are no requirements in age or household size to be able to get meals,” said Poulsen and Carter.

Being part of a food pantry or participating in a food drive takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Knowing you are helping someone else get the nutrients they need is very rewarding. 

“It’s very rewarding to feel like you’re helping people, even if you don’t know the names of the people helping. Just knowing that you’re making a difference feels good,” said Poulsen and Carter. If you want to feel like you are making a difference in your school or community, donate to the food drive or the food pantry. 

“From Sep. 21-28, Food for Thought held a food drive to collect donations from every first period class. To incentivize people to donate, the winner was promised donuts. The first place winner was Ms. Grimm’s class, the second place winner was Mr. Rhondenizer’s class, and the third place winner was Mr. Simon’s class,” said Poulsen and Carter.