Hall of Fame Inductees

People wait to see the induction of the former Rockbridge County High School athletes.

Emily Humphreys, Reporter

Rockbridge County has been a habitat for many athletes over many years. Every year a local committee selects a group of people to receive a Hall of Fame award. The award goes to previous student athletes that have excelled in their sports while attending Rockbridge County. This year there were eight athletes chosen to receive the award.

The recipients were William Copeland, John Crews, Marty Early, Keely Fresh, Amanda Green, Marcus Mayo, Andrew Rowsey, and Jennifer Showalter. Many of these athletes continued their athletic career in college and one of them even joined a professional league. 

There were 9 people on the committee to choose the athletes for this award. One person on the committee is David Miller. Miller is a former athletic director and has coached for Rockbridge County for many years. 

“We chose the athletes based on their athletic records with the highschool. As well as their dedication to their sport,” said Miller.

Andrew Rowsey graduated from Rockbridge County High School in 2013. He was well known in the school for his basketball skills. He received many all-district, all-region, and all-state awards as well as player of the year after his junior and senior seasons. 

He continued his basketball career and attended UNC Asheville. After his sophomore year he transferred to Marquette. After college he played professional basketball overseas and is now in the NBA G-League.

Currently, RCHS is full of student athletes and many of them already plan on continuing their athletic careers in college. It will be exciting to see if any of them follow in the footsteps of the athlete legends before them and possibly be a future Hall of Fame inductee for the Wildcats.