Future Business Leaders of America reach new heights

McKenzie Alley, Reporter

Future Business Leaders of America, FBLA, is a club here at RCHS. The idea of FBLA was first introduced in 1937 and local charters have been formed in high schools throughout the country. The club in Rockbridge focuses on the students in business classes, the businesses in the area, and the community. FBLA has planned many events that involve the members of Rockbridge county and hosts fundraisers that support other organizations.

Junior Will Gibbs is the current president of FBLA.

“I joined my freshman year online.It was a very interesting club, something I was really interested in,” said Gibbs. “All of the people, especially the leaders, visors, and sponsors were all super nice, friendly, and encouraging. It was a welcoming community.”

Senior Anna Cunningham had a very similar experience when she became interested in the club.

“I got started with FBLA sophomore year during Covid,” said Cunningham. “One of my teachers was an advisor for FBLA and told me to come to a meeting.”

The club follows their name and strives to improve other businesses.

“We focus on business activities but also we focus on our community,” said Gibbs. “We are about business but also improving businesses and our skills in business. We are also about the community and serving the community. For example we had people volunteer for the Jingle Bell Run.”

“FBLA focuses on preparing students for business related careers through different leadership and career-oriented opportunities,” said Vice President Cunningham. “We host fundraisers, like the Project Ask bowl-a-thon, and have monthly meetings with guest speakers who are involved in the business industry locally.”

“FBLA means a lot to me,” said Cunningham. “It has allowed me to connect with people I wouldn’t normally connect with and has made me into a more well rounded student.I have been vice president for two years and it’s been a blast. I hope we continue to be involved in the community through upcoming fundraisers and I hope we continue to grow our numbers!”

To participate in the upcoming Project Ask bowl-a-thon or to find any more information for upcoming FBLA events email [email protected] or [email protected].