Student Pursues Passion in Pottery

Evan Roney, Arts & Style Editor

RCHS provides a wide variety of electives as well as career and technical education courses. The goal of these classes is to expose students to subjects that interest them and help develop the skills necessary for future occupation as well as creating projects for college applications.

Junior Alyson Bell discovered pottery through our school’s ceramics course and is now taking Ceramics 2. She developed a passion for the art and now has membership with Clifton Forge to further pursue the practice. Currently she hopes to major in ceramics at VCU, but given she is only a junior she has not been able to apply yet.

“I have met some really great friends through my ceramics class and studio. I truly enjoyed this most out of all the activities I’ve done. I’m super excited to continue to grow my skills and knowledge once I go to college,” said Bell.

When asked about her student, ceramics teacher Ms. Rachael McKenzie had nothing but praise for the girl. “Alyson has become extremely talented in throwing on the wheel and a very caring student too, she’s a pleasure to have,” said McKenzie.

Students in ceramics practice many different methods, “They learn hand building, wheel throwing, and we do different techniques with glazing,” said McKenzie

Alyson is a great example of a curious student who used school resources to discover a passion inside herself. Electives are strongly suggested for all students, and the nature of necessary course schedules allow for the selection of one to two electives per year. To sign up for an elective in the coming years, students can talk to their counselors.