Spring Sports

Lacrosse seniors from left to right: Emma Bates, Mckenzie Hines, Alexis Polly, Rachel Hines, Lily Youngman, Jaden McCoy, and Kenzie Poulsen. Photo credits: Brandi Wimer

Baileigh Ramsey, Reporter

Sports can be a big part of one’s high school career, and seniors that play sports have a lot on their plate with school, homework, and jobs as well as getting ready for their next adventure! Balancing these things can be hard during high school, but when playing a sport one can go to practice and forget about everyday life and it can relieve stress. 

Senior year is different from any other year when playing a sport; there are going to be many lasts for oneself and their team. Also, there are exciting things that come along with being a senior. As the oldest on the team, seniors have the most experience, and with that they can be a mentor to the younger teammates and show them tips and tricks. 

Senior Kenzie Poulsen has been playing lacrosse for seven years.

“It’s cool to have been playing lacrosse for so long and now being the oldest. It’s also really cool playing with the same group for so long and now that we’re seniors, I think it’s brought us together and makes playing so much more fun,” said Poulsen. “When I was a freshman, I used to look up to the seniors and it’s super cool being in their spot now and being a leader to the younger girls,” said Poulsen. 

Being a senior is very exciting, especially when you play a sport. Coaches view them as the one they can count on to know what they are supposed to be doing and knowing how to do it. The younger teammates are looking up to seniors as their role model and they watch during practices to make sure they’re doing something correctly. 

Senior Tucker Entsminger plays baseball and is excited for the season. 

“Being a senior means that I need to set an example to the underclassmen. It is also important to me that I take it seriously and do my best because this could be my last year of the sport. I’m excited for this season and it feels good to be a senior with this group because we have a pretty good team this year,” said Entsminger. 

When seniors are wrapping up their season, it can definitely be hard leaving a sport that you’ve being committed to, but it will be exciting for their new adventures.