Senioritis Causes the Senior Slumps

Mackenzie Mynes

Senior Anna Rhodenizer plans upcoming senior events.

Mackenzie Mynes, Reporter

Being a second semester senior is no simple task. Constant talk of college, finding the perfect prom outfit, cramming in those last scholarships, and the exhausting thoughts of graduation are all valid and common reasons for seniors to become inattentive in their last couple months as a high school student. As a fellow senior, I understand what it is like to be in a slump, however, I gathered a few tips to help us get through these next six weeks together. 

It is beneficial for you to stay motivated. If you finish off your year in a slump, it is likely you will start the next chapter of your life, whether it is college or a full time job, in a rut. 

For those who do not know, senioritis is a term that has been around for years to describe the lack of motivation that seniors face during their last year of high school. Many students lose interest in coming to class, or putting effort into their work. This causes issues with students not being able to finish off their last year of high school to their best ability. Senioritis is usually the most prominent once the school year hits the second semester, after winter break. 

Nonetheless, do not strain the thought of getting senioritis, because there are many ways to keep yourself on task and motivated so you can have a remarkable last semester. 

Setting personal goals for yourself is a great start. Whether it is a short term goal of graduating highschool with a certain GPA or a five year plan of graduating college with a specific degree, setting goals will keep you motivated and help you find a sense of accomplishment once you reach them, especially if they have sentimental value to you.

Many students also keep themselves motivated by looking towards the future. If you give yourself something to look forward to, you may not be as negative about that scholarship that you’re probably procrastinating. 

Senior Anna Rhodenizer comments on her tips on how to avoid senioritis. 

“I always try to look forward to something so I don’t get completely bored, like spring break, after that I’ll be looking forward to the senior trip, and [then] the senior picnic,” said Rhodenizer.

Focusing on your mental health can also help you stay on task. Staying on top of your mental health keeps you motivated and can help you prioritize the school work you need to complete by the end of the year.

If you are suffering from senioritis know that you are valid and not alone. You only get one senior year and you want to make it count to the fullest. If you focus on those future goals and keep yourself motivated, the next couple months will absolutely fly by.