The student news site of Rockbridge County High School

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

Meet the Staff

Junior Gardner Clement is a first-year reporter for the Prowler. Clement is very excited to create some banger articles and videos. Clement is in journalism because he wants to learn about writing formal...

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

CTE Teachers Adjust To Major Change

This school year, teachers and students were hit with major changes due to the reconstruction of the Career and Technical Education wing of the high school. Teachers previously located in this hallway were forced to move to different classrooms, which has been a very difficult adjustment to make. 

Since these teachers used kitchens, technology and computers, and even nursing beds, finding a place for everyone to go has been a real struggle. 

Nurse Aid teacher, Deborah Wright, shares how CTE teachers have been affected by the move. 

“Moving my classroom to the T hallway was very challenging. I lost one-half of my space and storage and had to part with many items that would not fit in my new classroom,” said Wright. 

She also shares how they are moving forward and making it work. 

“ I know the transition for many CTE teachers has not been easy, but they are making it work for their students. My students have adjusted very well, but still say they miss the “old” Vo-Tech area. After having taught in Vo-Tech for almost 26 years, it was very bittersweet to leave,” said Wright.

Students were also affected because they have to leave the building everyday for classes like EMT and Culinary. These students go to the Rockbridge County Training Center for their class. 

Senior McKenzie Burch explains how she has been affected by this change. 

“I absolutely love having class off campus! We have so many more opportunities when we’re off campus for EMT,” said Burch. 

From the administrative standpoint, the renovation caused a little uncertainty from staff and students at the beginning, but has made the most of the tough circumstances. Assistant Principal, Scott Fleshman, had some feedback on how everyone has reacted as the new year begins. 

“It was a little stressful at the beginning, with everyone not 100% sure how things would shake out.  However, as I knew they would, pretty much everyone has rallied well. The adjustments have overall been smooth, and folks have gotten used to the new normal, so I look forward to another productive year,” said Fleshman. 

Even through this unusual start to a school year, the students and teachers continue to stay positive as the school works around the construction. As a school we will still push through and make this year the best yet.