RCHS Hosts SOL Tests

RCHS students will take SOL tests starting in March.

Grace Frascati, Head Managing Editor

Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, standardized testing continues, with SOL (Standards of Learning) and AP (Advanced Placement) tests scheduled to take place in the coming months. SOL tests are statewide tests in Virginia that access the progress of students from grades three through 12. At RCHS, SOL tests are set to occur soon, with the first SOL planned for March. The other SOL tests will take place in May. Melanie Falls is the SOL testing coordinator at RCHS.

SOL tests will be given at RCHS.  In March, we will give all Juniors the End-of-Course Writing SOL,” said Falls. “In May, we will give SOL tests to students enrolled in Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Reading (grade 11), Earth Science, Biology, and Chemistry, for students who need to participate either to earn verified credits toward graduation or for federal accountability.”

SOL tests must be administered in secure testing environments at RCHS, as has been done in the past. Although students do not have the option to take SOL tests at home, there are strict safety measures to ensure that test-takers are protected from possible COVID-19 exposure. 

“We will follow all migration strategies that are outlined in our RCPS Health Plan,” said Falls. “Those strategies include: ‘Students and staff must go through a health screening prior to entering the building; Students and staff must wear a face covering at all times while in the building; Lab occupancy has been cut drastically to allow for fewer students testing at a time; Computers will be 6-feet apart to allow for social distancing; Computers/mice/keyboards/chairs/desks will be sanitized before and after each student use; and Passes to and from the computer lab for testing have been eliminated to avoid the passing of paper and thus, the spreading of germs.’”

Aside from the number of students able to be placed in the labs and the application of mitigation strategies, the SOL tests are the same as in the years prior. The SOL tests for the 2020-2021 school year are EOC Writing (grade 11), EOC Reading (grade 11), Algebra I (grades nine through 12), Geometry (grades nine through 12), Algebra II (grades nine through 12), Earth Science (grades nine through 12), Biology (grades nine through 12), and Chemistry (grades nine through 12). 

As the SOL testing coordinator, Falls is hopeful that she will maintain organization, especially in light of the new measures in place, so that RCHS students will be successful in earning credits.

“My hope this year is the same as it is every year—that I am uber organized so that students and staff members know when the SOL tests are, what labs we are using, when students are testing, and scores are reported as soon as I am able to do so,” said Falls. “I want testing to be as smooth as a process can be so that our students earn the verified credits needed for graduation.”