The Dress Code Sparks Debate

Heidi Schwarzmann, News Editor

As Rockbridge County High School students are adjusting to being back with in person learning this academic year, the summer break wardrobes are seemingly hard to ditch. The Administration has been making sure to reprimand any students who fail to dress in the appropriate attire for a school setting.  

Cynthia Littleton is the Vice Principal at RCHS this academic year. 

“Most jobs have set standards for appropriate dress,” said Littleton. “The purpose of a school is to educate students for the workforce.” 

The dress code has been in place at RCHS for many years. This academic year is said to be more lenient with the policies than previous years. 

“The current dress code is the least strict I have seen in 35 years of teaching,” said Littleton. “If you look at dress codes for surrounding school systems you will see that ours is the least restrictive.” 

The updated RCHS dress code is provided to incoming students every academic year. In addition, an image demonstrating the appropriate attire is provided on the RCHS website. The policy states that the torso should be covered from armpit to 3 inch inseam with the addition of armholes on the outfit. 

Ellie Mastin is a junior at RCHS. 

“I think the dress code is too strict and it is hard to know if what you are wearing will get you in trouble or not,” said Mastin. “Shopping for clothes that comply with the dress code is hard because most fashionable clothes are considered inappropriate for school.” 

The dress code is set in place for both male and female students. However, many feel as though administration is more strict towards female attire. 

“I think that the dress code definitely targets females,” said Mastin. “Everyday you can find at least three girls who have been called out for their clothes. Being told to change is not only embarrassing but also interrupts learning and ruins your day.”

Luci Hanstedt is a senior at RCHS. 

“We have been told that the dress code is to promote a professional educational environment, but in reality it objectifies and sexualizes girls when we are pulled out of class to be looked up and down and asked to change or given a punishment,” said Hanstedt. “Anyone who thinks teenage girl’s bodies are inappropriate or public property should be held accountable for their reactions and actions. Don’t blame the female who just wants to wear what she is comfortable in.” 

This academic year being amidst a pandemic, students have more regulations and rules to follow than ever before. The dress code is one more inconvenience to the students who are having to juggle academics, proper mask wearing, social distancing, and their own mental health. 

“We have been told so many times this year that our mental health needs to be prioritized, but by enforcing the dress code the school is doing the opposite. Dress coding students strips us of our confidence and makes us extremely uncomfortable in our own skin,” said Hanstedt. “School is not a safe, comfortable place when we are being harassed about our clothing and made to focus on more than our studies.”