Follow these Tips for Virtual & In-Person Learning

Grace Frascati, Head Managing Editor

As an RCHS senior, I have gained some valuable lessons about how to be successful as a student over the past few years. Although virtual learning did pose some new challenges for me at first, and still occasionally does, I have learned how to manage and overcome them. Yes, virtual learning is difficult, but if I can do it, so can you. To encourage you, I want to share some of my best tips for mastering online learning. Many of them are useful tips I followed before virtual learning, although now I follow some of them more strictly. 

My first tip is simple: stick to a schedule. Before the COVID-19 crisis, most of us were basically forced to follow a schedule, as school took up most of our day and was then followed by athletic practice and homework, leaving us little flexibility for free-time. Now that many of us are at home, we have the freedom to create (or not create) our own schedules. Let’s be honest. Some of us, including myself, simply do not have the willpower to get tasks done without a schedule. Maybe we procrastinate, or maybe we spend too much time on one task and neglect the others. Trust me, make a schedule. Make sure you stick to it too. 

With that said, it would be ridiculous to expect ourselves to operate like machines—completing one task and then moving on to the next. So, build breaks into your schedule. No matter how stressed you may feel or how much work you have to do, take breaks. I say this for two reasons. One: you will be more likely to follow your schedule. Two: your quality of work will be lacking without mental breaks. I suggest at least 15 minutes every couple of hours. Go outside, walk your dog, read a book, or, I suppose, go on your phone (if you are not already tired of looking at screens all day).

My third and final tip is to be independent. Okay, this tip is pretty broad. Let me extrapolate. Take your education into your own hands. When you have a job someday, no one will be there to remind you of your responsibilities. I suggest practicing for this stage in your life now, so that your transition into adulthood will go smoothly. Independence means sticking to your deadlines (even if you will not get points deducted), assessing your knowledge and the steps you may need to take to improve it, and motivating yourself to be successful. Independence also means realizing when you need to take a step back because tiring yourself out is not helpful or responsible. Overall, accept accountability for your education and the quality of it. Even with virtual learning, it is absolutely possible to receive a high quality education (and ace those AP tests, if you are taking those). For those of you who are deciding to return to in-person learning, I believe these tips still matter. However, I’ve called upon a fellow senior who is an in-person student to perhaps offer you some specialized tips. 

Senior Tess Mullis is set to return to in-person learning on Tuesday, Feb. 2. She is already planning for how she will be successful with this new change. 

“After talking with my teachers and parents, we have decided that returning to in-person learning would be a good move for me,” said Mullis. “So far, I’ve struggled a little with virtual learning because it’s hard for me to stay focused on my work. I’m hoping that with this structure, I will be more successful.”

Mullis’s most important piece of advice for herself and other in-person learners is to take advantage of help from teachers. 

“My most important tip for how to succeed in in-person learning will be talking to my teachers,” said Mullis. “This is one of the main reasons that I will be returning. I am hoping to get the one-on-one help that I need so that I can make the most of this opportunity.”

As a senior, Mullis has similarly gained experience with how she learns best over the past four years. 

“I have learned that I work best when I can be supported by teachers and friends,” said Mullis. “This is maybe another reason why I am choosing to go back. Some people, like myself, work better when we are around others. When I’m by myself, it’s harder for me to focus on my task. I would suggest that in-person learners try to interact with and motivate each other. This sort of supportive education environment is something that I have missed, and I think other students have too.” 

No matter if you elect to stay virtual or return to in-person learning, work on understanding how you learn best, and make your learning a conscious goal. This past year has posed several challenges for students and educators alike, but know that everyone is rooting for you.