Sonnier Stuns Audiences

Adam Webster, Reporter

Sophomore Emma Sonnier has made a home in the theater department. Her broad range of talents and interests in the performing arts, as well as other areas, has cemented Sonnier as a singer, actress, performer, and RCHS gem. Whether she’s performing in a one-act play, playing chess, or lip-syncing her heart out, Sonnier is sure to wow audiences and peers alike.

“My whole performance background started with dance. I was six or seven when I started, and I danced until I was ten or 11,” said Sonnier.

Sonnier danced while she lived in  Louisiana and Pennsylvania, but stopped due to an injury.

“I have this medical problem in both of my hips where the socket is shallow, so the bones rub up against each other,” she said. “It’s very painful.”

Despite this impairment, Sonnier focused her theatrical prowess in other areas.

“In eighth grade, I took a theater class during the last semester, first period. I always started the day with theater, and I really enjoyed it,” she said. “When I found out there was a theater class for ninth graders at the high school, I thought, ‘Okay, I took theater last year and I liked it. Why not take it again?’”

Sonnier enjoyed theater and is enrolled in advanced theater this year. She intends to stay in the program throughout her high school career.

“Next year I really want to take directing as an advanced class. The next year, I can T.A. for Ms. Gorman,” said Sonnier.

Sonnier is currently working on the one-act play “Lockdown” in advanced theater.

“Lockdown is about these eight students who are actually in a school lockdown but don’t believe it’s real, so they’re acting stupid,” said Sonnier.

The play ends with a cliffhanger, leaving the audience wondering what will happen.

“At the end of the play, there are two options. There’s one where they’re rescued, or you can play it out as if the shooter comes into the room,” she said. “You never know, though, because it just ends. It’s really cool.”

Sonnier also likes to sing, and is in the school chorus.

“I do really love to sing. I can’t go super low or super high, so I guess I’m just like a mix,” she said.

The chorus performs at a winter and spring concert every year, as well as the national anthem at graduation.

Sonnier’s talents are not limited to acting and singing, though. She also has an interest in art, is in the chess club, and wants to learn French.

“My family is French, so I really want to learn the language. That way if I ever travel back to France, then I can speak it,” said Sonnier.

Sonnier hopes that her interests in high school will help her find a career in the performing arts.

“I would really love to go into actual theater, and perform on Broadway, or on a TV show, or do something that involves singing and acting,” said Sonnier. “I hope to someday write my own songs.”