Ritter Scales The Rocks

Chris Ritter

Junior Peyton Ritter practices free climbing at River Rock.

Brendan Donahue, Reporter

Knowing how to save yourself from tragic accidents, while suspended hundreds of feet up in the air, is not something that is included in the typical high school curriculum. However, junior Peyton Ritter is taking advantage of the Independent Study program in order to learn and teach herself about Alpinism and Technical Climbing.

Two years ago, Ritter began climbing on her own as an alternative to regular high school sports. Since then, Ritter has explored the different climbing opportunities around Rockbridge County. However, for her independent study she wanted to focus on a more specific discipline, Ritter choose to explore new types of climbing terrains.

“My knowledge on climbing is just so based in rock, and so I really just like want to know more about ice, snow, and glacier climbing,” said Ritter.

Ritter has begun to use a directed study period in school and spent time outside of school and to learn the new alpinism climbing discipline. Under the mentorship of James Dick, who is the Washington and Lee’s (W&L) Outing Club director, Ritter has been climbing in W&L’s climbing barn.

For Ritter, climbing is not just a casual hobby.

“I like the individuality of it. I like the challenge. It’s very humbling because it’s very hard,” said Ritter. “I used to be very involved in traditional sports, but the incorporation of being outside and also pushing myself physically is really appealing.”

Ritter is studying from three different publications, which include everything from accidents in North American mountaineering, to accounts from various climbers, to a general textbook on the subject.

In addition, Ritter is planning on working with Dick to improve her climbing skills at W&L’s own climbing barn.

“It is nice to have these books to learn about it and hear other climber’s experiences,” said Ritter. “It doesn’t feel like a study. It doesn’t feel like a class for school.”

While there may be no Alpine mountains in Rockbridge County, Ritter is still taking full advantage of local spots, like Goshen Pass, continuously improving her overall skill. However, climbing up the side of rock faces is not the only active thing Ritter is doing in her study.

Recently a climbing competition was held at Washington and Lee’s climbing barn as an opportunity for the students to show off their skills. Unbeknownst to them, Ritter would be the only high schooler to enter and win the entire competition.

“It was cool to be around a bunch of people who were older than me and be able to do well,” said Ritter.