Volleyball Defeats Colonels in Straight Sets

Eric Young, Head Sports Editor

The volleyball team defeated the William Fleming Colonels on Thursday night, Sept. 23
in straight sets, 25-6, 25-22, and 25-14. The team improved to 5-5 on the season after their
victory, while the Colonels dropped to 1-9 on the season.

The ‘Cats opened up the first set of the match with an early lead and held on, to
ultimately win the set 25-6.

In the second set, the ‘Cats once again took an early advantage with a 10-2 lead. However
the Colonels battled back to take a 22-21 lead late in the set. Junior Keely Doyle switched the
momentum back to the ‘Cats with a kill, to give the ‘Cats the lead, 24-22. The girls’ scored once
more to finish the set with a victory, 25-22.

The team continued their momentum into the third set to take the lead over the Colonels,
11-1. The Colonels battled back to cut the lead to 21-14 in the set, however, the ‘Cats fended off
the Colonels with four consecutive points to finish off the third set, bringing the match to close
with a score of 25-14.

According to senior Kayla Bryant, the ‘Cats built off of the competitive second set to
win the third set and the match.

“I think that we came together more in the third set, because we started losing it in the
second set, like teamwork and working together, and we definitely picked that up in the third set
and came back,” said Bryant.

As for the rest of the season, Bryant has high hopes for the team as they move closer
towards the postseason.

“I think we definitely have a good chance of moving forward,” said Bryant. We just need
to learn like to work together more and use our strengths because we are a shorter team, but we
know where to put the ball.”

The ‘Cats will travel to face conference opponent Northside High School for their next
matchup on Tuesday, September. 27. Northside, 10-3 on the season, comes into the matchup
fresh off of a shutout victory over their conference foe, William Byrd. The match between the
Wildcats and Northside is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.