‘Cats Volleyball Blanked by Cavaliers

Eric Young, Head Sports Editor

The Wildcat volleyball team lost in straight sets to the Lord Botetourt Cavaliers at home on Tuesday, October 11. Tuesday night’s matchup was the second meeting between the two schools this season, with Botetourt sweeping the first matchup as well, 3-0. Rockbridge dropped to 7-9 on the season and 3-3 in the conference, while Botetourt improved to 16-3 overall and 6-0 in conference play.

Botetourt capitalized on the ‘Cats’ multiple mistakes in the first set to run out to an early 18-11 lead. The ‘Cats clawed their way back with a 4-0 run late in the set to trim the Botetourt lead to 21-18, however the Cavaliers eventually pulled away to win the set, 25-21.

Continuing their momentum from the victory in the first set, Botetourt jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the second set. Kills from ‘Cats’ juniors Hannah Burch and Keely Doyle helped Rockbridge comeback and tie the set at 11-11. An 8-0 scoring run helped Botetourt to regain the lead in the set and widen the gap over the ‘Cats to 20-11. Rockbridge sophomore Hannah Berlin kept the ‘Cats in the set with a kill to shave the Cavalier lead to 24-16. It was not enough, as Botetourt went on to score the set point to take the second set, 25-17.

screen-shot-2016-10-19-at-8-43-12-pm

Junior Hannah Burch gets ready to spike the ball on Tuesday night’s game against Lord Botetourt

The Cavaliers allowed the ‘Cats to hang around in the third set for only a short period of time before going on a 6-0 scoring run to take an 11-5 advantage. Botetourt never looked back, ultimately defeating the ‘Cats, 25-15, and winning the match.

“I think we played well,” said Berlin. “We have to pick up the communication, but we can definitely play better, I think it was better than last time we played them,” said sophomore Hannah Berlin.

The ‘Cats volleyball team will travel to William Fleming High School on Tuesday, October 18 for their next matchup. Rockbridge won the first meeting between the two teams this season, shutting out the Colonels, 3-0.