Lamb Adopts A New Role At SVU

Blake Allen, Reporter

Shawn Lamb, Class of 2016, is currently a freshman at Southern Virginia University and is on the lacrosse team. Lamb played on the Rockbridge lacrosse team from 2014-2016 and was able to develop through the program.

“Playing for three head coaches in three years helped me learn how to adapt to new situations and how to play under new coaching systems,” said Lamb. “My senior year, in particular, was my favorite year of growth in the sport. The RCHS program helped me get to where I am now in many ways. Coach Adams, Williams, Ray were all great coaches that helped me and my teammates play to the best of our abilities.”

Head coach Jake Adams coached Lamb for one year and expressed what he thought was Lamb’s most important attribute last season.

“One of Shawn’s greatest attributes was his work ethic,” said Adams. “He always pushed himself to the fullest, never backing down or giving up. He was a captain and led by example, setting very high standards for effort for the team. When the game was over, he had nothing left.”

Adams also discussed Lamb’s contributions and his role on the team last season.

“Shawn was the linchpin of our offense; he could always make a play happen, was a great quarterback, always finding the open player and often dodging multiple defenders to take the ball to the cage,” said Adams. “He contributed the lion’s share of the goals and assists for our team last year, and actually scored more points than any other player in the Roanoke Timesland area.”

Taking away different conditioning skills of the game was not the only thing that Lamb had to learn before entering the college level. Lamb also had to improve on the endurance of his game to be prepared for the college level.

“In order to compete at this level, my strength, speed and stick skills all needed to increase,” said Lamb. “I did my best to improve in those areas. I also try to watch as much film as possible to improve my lacrosse IQ.”

In Lamb’s first season at SVU, he has played in 11 games overall so far, scored 56 points, 36 goals, and has had 20 assists. However, two games in particular stick out for Lamb.

“My best game this season was our win against Birmingham Southern,” said Lamb. “I had six goals and three assists during that game. However, my favorite game to date was our 11-10 victory over Bridgewater because the team played great, and I was able to end the game with an overtime winning goal.”

In March, Lamb was named the Capital Atlantic Conference Offensive Player of the Week after leading the team in scoring, assists, points and shots. Lamb expressed gratitude for all of his teammates and did not take all the credit for the award.

“Being named conference player of the week was a huge honor and being in one of the best conferences in the country, it is very humbling to receive this award,” said Lamb. “I feel blessed, but the credit is not to be put on me, but rather on my team as a whole for the work and victory we all went through together.”