Girls’ tennis team encourages teamwork

Lily Moreschi

Senior players pose with their parents on senior night.

Lily Morechi, Reporter

The girls’ tennis team (10-4) has started off the season with a sense of teamwork and a goal of having fun while improving basic techniques.

Susan Amonette has been coaching the team for eight years and is focusing on improving the athletes’ techniques this year.

“Our goal this season has been to improve our basic ground strokes from the baseline for faster, deeper shots,” said Amonette. “Some players have reached this goal; others continue to work on that.”

Amonette appreciates the dynamic of the team, as well as the way they interact with other teams.

“I’m most proud of the team for their team spirit and enthusiasm for the game,” said Amonette. “They are always polite on the courts, which keeps the tradition of ‘tennis etiquette’ alive and well.”

Senior Degsteen Afful has been a part of the team for four years and most enjoys being around her teammates.

“My favorite part of the team is my teammates. I love how ridiculously close we have become these past few weeks,” said Afful. “I absolutely love the fact that that I can talk to them about anything. We have each other’s backs every step of the way.”

In addition to giving her a close group of friends, the team has also made Afful a better player.

“My forehand and serves have improved tremendously,” said Afful. “The tennis team has definitely been my favorite part of high school.

Just like Afful, sophomore Petra Honainy likes being a part of the team because of her teammates.

“My favorite part of being on the team would definitely be hanging out with my teammates,” said Honainy. “We always support one another!”

Over the course of the season, Honainy has set a goal that helps her focus better both on and off the court.

“My personal goal this year is to not forget why I joined tennis, which is to have fun, get more in shape, and provide me with stress relief from other things going on.”

As the season progresses, the team continues to improve their techniques and enjoy playing the game.