The Golf Team Drives To Victory

Kendall Nye putting.

Stephanie Weisberger, Reporter

The Golf Team is currently in first place in the Valley District for the 2019-2020 school year.   The golf team will host the Sept. 16 Valley District Championship Tournament. This is an 18 hole course that will take place at the Lexington Country Club in Lexington, Va. Information about stats, events, and player information can be found on the team’s Facebook page under RCHS Wildcat Golf.

There are new aspects to the golf team described by Coach David Miller.

“I was very excited to see 12 players show up for the team, and it is nice to have freshman. Also, I am very excited that three young ladies came out, and they are all improving every day,” said Miller.

Miller shared information about the team and the start of the season.

“It has been a strong start for the Golf Team and they are in position to win the District.  They just need to play well at the last district match on Sept. 16 and that one is a home match, which helps,” said Miller. 

Freshman Paul Russell is a first year on the golf team.

“ I am looking forward to our game in Botetourt, Va. I really enjoy just getting out there and practicing,” said Russell. 

Sophomore Kendall Nye is a first year golfer on the team.

“My favorite part of golf is how welcoming everyone on the team has been,” said Nye. 

Nye shared information about the team record.  

“The team is enjoying a great record currently of 12-2 and is in first place in the district ahead of Turner Ashby and Spotswood,” said Nye. 

Freshman Sophia Vargas is a first year on the golf team.

“The team aspect is really good. Through golf, I feel like we’ve all gotten closer.  I like how much Coach Miller has helped me. I feel like I’ve improved,” said Vargas.

Senior Cole Cathcart is co-captain of the golf team. 

“I have been playing golf since I was five. My favorite part of golf is the short game, which is also known as chipping and putting,” said Cathcart.

There are many new players on the Golf Team this year.           

“ We’ve had a ton of new people come out to play this year and it’s been awesome. The Team is such a great space to grow as a player and have fun. Also, Junior Garrett Huffman is one heck of a man!” said Cathcart.