FCCLA Makes Waves in San Diego

Brendan Donahue, Reporter

Over this summer, the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) club went to San Diego for a week long national leadership convention where over 8,000 members from all over the United States and U.S. territories gathered. Members developed leadership skills and participated in general sessions involving all of the FCCLA members at the conference, strengthening bonds.

“It was a lot of fun because most of the girls we went with had never been on a plan so it was like new experiences for everybody and we really bonded,” said FCCLA member Rachel Alexander. “We all had a great time.”

Outside of the convention, the FCCLA members explored the city of San Diego. They visited iconic locations like Hotel Del Coronado and Old Town. They also experienced the 4th of July fireworks, which took place over the city at night.

“We were eating and the fireworks started going off, so we got up and ran down the street to try and find somewhere between the buildings to see the fireworks,” said Alexander. “It was a lot of fun.”

Junior Chesley Strickler was elected vice-president of membership for Virginia’s state FCCLA. Strickler’s duties include managing the current members and actively recruiting new ones.

“My personal growth has developed in the areas of perseverance, dedication, and leadership,” said Strickler. “I want to raise Virginia’s membership by 2017 members for the year 2017.”

Upcoming plans for the FCCLA club include going to the Virginia state fair on Monday, September 26. At the fair, members will participate in an SOL Scavenger Hunt, where they will explore Virginia’s largest outdoor classroom and match educational opportunities throughout the fairgrounds. Students can also participate in many contests.

In addition the FCCLA club will travel to Washington from September 28 to October 1 to prepare to meet with elected officials. The members hope to be able to use skills they have learned at the San Diego conference to advocate FCCLA at a national level.

“Advocating for this organization,” said Strickler. “Would give officials a glimpse into how it affects so many students’ lives and allows them not just to be a passenger, but be the pilot of their future.”