Teachers Talk Homecoming

Sophomore Class Sponsor Scott Fleshman Poses Next To The Spirit Stick. Photo by Adam Webster

Adam Webster, Reporter

With this year’s homecoming season coming to a successful close, students are already preparing for next year. With the student body playing a large role in planning the event, the faculty has few opportunities to share how they feel about homecoming. Many of our own teachers have ideas to improve the week, from incorporating alumni to a different chaperone policy.

“The week itself I thought went pretty well. A lot of people were dressing up for the different spirit things, and I thought the hall decorations were very nice, very creative,” said Latin teacher Patrick Bradley.

English teacher Brian Baker also thought that the week went smoothly.

“As SCA sponsor, we were a big part of planning all of the activities for spirit week,” said Baker. “We eliminated the parade this year, and I think that that was a good step towards eliminating stress so people can enjoy the week more.”

History teacher Sandra Hayslette, English teacher Sarah Leadbetter, and Bradley all believe that homecoming ought to be made into an alumni affair.

“I think that we should really make it something that involves alums, and make it a way to get graduates to come back,” said Bradley. “You could even raise some money. Get everyone in the graduating class to give two or three dollars, that’s four or five hundred dollars right there, and you can use that money for whatever people think it’s good for.”

This undertaking would be challenging and time consuming, but potentially very rewarding for both the school and the alumni.

Hayslette thinks that homecoming could stand to be less focused on dating culture.

“I wish that there was some way that we could de-emphasize the concept of dating couples when it comes to homecoming court. This sort of obsession of voting in people who are dating each other seems like a symptom of something that may be a little skewed in the priority of these events,” Hayslette said.

Leadbetter suggested that the teacher presence at the dance be lessened.

“I think there are too many teachers at the dance. They’re kind of all over the gym. So if we could get some parent volunteers to replace some of the teachers, I think that would be better,” said Leadbetter.

Despite any shortcomings that are pointed out or any suggestions made, teachers still appreciate homecoming for what it is.

“I think it’s a good kickoff to the year. It’s a good thing to remind the students that we’re one school,” said Baker.