Shaner Strives To Teach GOP Values

Mayor Frank Friedman talks to students about being a Republican.

Byron Winchester

Byron Winchester, Business Manager

The newly formed Junior Republicans club has gotten off to a fast start with the conclusion of the national election. Members have come pouring in since the U.S. election in early November. Gabe Shaner, the Founder and Vice-President of the club has been able to draw in crowds of nearly 40 students with well-known speakers such as Ben Cline.

“I went to the Republican Party downtown on election night and made my connection there,” said Shaner.

Shaner has plenty of goals for the club and plans on moving swiftly in his pursuit of educating young Republicans.

“I want the Junior Republicans at RCHS to be educated about why they are Republicans and how they can benefit the school,” said Shaner.

Club members such as senior Jared Jarvis are excited to express their political beliefs.

“I joined because I believe that being a Republican can strengthen our country and our values. I believe in working hard for what you want and I think Republicans understand this more than the Democrats,” said Jarvis.

Without much of a background in politics, Shaner has reached out to local politicians to speak at club meetings

“I plan on educating members by bringing in local Republicans and government officials to teach the group,” said Shaner.

Listening to well informed speakers such as Ben Cline and Frank Friedman has helped members gained knowledge by being a part of the club. Secretary of the club, Trey Cathcart has tried to take advantage of the opportunities that the club has provided him.

“I am able to learn from politicians like Ben Cline and others and that helps me with my understanding of state politics and national politics,” said Cathcart. “We are able to discuss issues that occur within the country and the world that we feel strongly about and we discuss possible solutions and the effects they may have on others.”

At the clubs third meeting, Mayor Frank Friedman spoke in front of a crowd of roughly 20 members.

The Jr. Republican club looks forward to having more meetings with more republican speakers in the near future.