Lexington celebrates history

Nic Benke, Reporter

For the second time in Lexington history, the city held the Lee-Jackson and Martin Luther King Community parade on the same weekend. In a surprising turn of events, both parades this year occurred on their own respective holidays.

For many years, the Lee-Jackson parade has gone on peacefully uncontested, led by the local Stonewall Brigade Camp of the Son of Confederate Veterans (SCV).

Recently though, the local organization known as the Community Anti-Racist Effort Initiative (CARE) was founded in response to several KKK recruitment fliers found in Lexington during the early spring of 2017.

Last year, the CARE Initiative reserved a permit for Saturday Jan. 14. This has traditionally been the day that the SCV has held their parade.

While the Stonewall Jackson Brigade offered to switch parade dates after reserving a parade permit for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the CARE Initiative sent a clear message by declining the trade and marching on Saturday.

This year, however, the Lee-Jackson wreath-laying ceremony and parade started on the morning of Jan. 12, accompanied by a heavy police presence.

Press Communications Officer Brandon Dorsey estimated that around 300 people attended the Saturday morning proceedings.

“There are some folks out here that unfortunately have caused some problems in other localities on both sides of the issue of Confederate history… If folks are here for another purpose than ours, we do not honor their viewpoint today because that is not what the day is about. We  are here to honor Lee and Jackson and their character,” said Dorsey. “I would ask people to take the time to learn about these men before they make any judgements about them.”

Rumors were spreading before the Lee-Jackson parade date that blogger Jason Kessler would make an appearance. Kessler, author of a semi-popular blog and organizer of the controversial Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville last Aug., was asked by the Stonewall Jackson Brigade not to attend the ceremonies or parade. Kessler was not seen at any of the events.

Then on Monday morning, Jan. 15, an estimated 800 people gathered for CARE’s Martin Luther King Community parade, accompanied by another heavy police presence. The marchers, brandishing many signs, circled around the central Lexington streets for half an hour. Chants such as “Justice, Peace” and “Whose streets? Our streets!” filled the blocks of Lexington. No speech was given before or after the parade this year.

Many students from the high school left classes on Monday to join the MLK parade.

Seniors Claire Knowles was one of these many who participated.

“It’s almost controversial to celebrate MLK”, said Knowles. “It was nice to see the community come together for a good cause.”

Adding to Lexington’s celebration of MLK Day, Rev. King’s daughter Bernice King gave Washington and Lee’s annual Martin Luther King Jr. address on Jan. 21. Several students from the college protested against her talk, on account of her Baptist beliefs.