Lip Sync raises money for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

First-place+winners%2C+the+Beastie+Girls%2C+perform+in+the+lip+sync+contest.+

Brian Hamelman

First-place winners, the Beastie Girls, perform in the lip sync contest.

Alexandra Mason, Reporter

The seventh annual Lip Sync Contest was held Nov. 20, where numerous individual contestants and student groups took the stage to support the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation fundraiser.

Economics and personal finance teacher Donna Wallace, business and information technology teacher Mike LeNoir, and business teacher Cindy Lunsford organized the event.

Sophomore Erin Harrington shared a short message about her experience with cystic fibrosis, informing the audience about what it is and how it affects people and their daily lifestyles.

“Raising money for cystic fibrosis patients really gives us hope for more tomorrows and really puts a thought into our minds that there is a bright future ahead rather than the life expectancy age,” said Harrington. “There are so many great medications and treatments available because of fundraisers that there is no where to go but forward in our discoveries.”

The judges of the evening were Mark Cline, Robby Jones, Beth Saladino, and Kevan Kavanaugh. Physics and AP calculus teacher Chris McGrath was the judge coordinator and helped tally votes for the evening.

Out of 17 acts,  the group “The Beastie Girls,” including seniors Mallory Keeley, Sophia Youngdahl, and Kathryn Brodie, won first place, winning $100.

“We had a lot of props in comparison to last year’s performance and our costumes were a lot more detailed. It’s always a blast dancing with my girls though –  it’s always a highlight of my year,” said Youngdahl.

Brothers Trey and Cole Cathcart came in second place and were awarded $75. Third place and People’s Choice award were given to The Prowler Staff, collecting a total of $100.

With all proceeds benefiting the cystic fibrosis foundation, the Lip Sync Contest helped raise around $4,000.

“I think it’s wonderful that all of the money from Lip Sync is donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation,” said Youngdahl. “ I love to hear how much money the competition raises for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and I think the fundraiser is one of the best things our school does.”

Through fundraisers like the Lip Sync Contest hosted by RCHS, those diagnosed with cystic fibrosis are gaining hope and new treatments.