Get Back At Your Quarantine Body With Help From RCHS Athletes

Junior William Murdock gets his lift on.

(Above) Junior William Murdock lifts 5 days a week to stay in shape and get strong. (Below) Music selected by RCHS athletes to complement your training.

Created with Spotify

Blake Darmante, Broadcast Editor

Since the beginning of COVID-19 and its different phases here in the United States of America, have you found yourself getting self-conscious about your quarantine body? That is, the body that never skips “Netflix day” from your favorite futon, the body that runs only to answer the Uber Eats delivery guy (who is two hours late), and the body that is sustained by the ultimate meal of champions— Totino’s Pizza Rolls. If you have found yourself suffering from the negative physical effects of quarantine or if you are looking to enhance your physical performance, please, keep reading. I interviewed some of RCHS’s finest athletes to get a practical account of what can be done to stay in shape and, if these high school athletes can do it, so can you. 

Quarantine has allowed for more opportunities to be lazy and exert minimal energy. Even though it can be fun to spend your days doing things such as watching television, playing video games, and sitting around, the human body thrives when introduced to some form of physical activity everyday. Junior Kendall Nye gets her physical activity in while training to complete the Manchester United (ManU) workout. 

“My goal is to be able to complete the entire Manchester United Running (MANU’s) Workout,” said Nye. “During this workout, the runner has to complete 22 100 yard sprints in 22 minutes. The speed of each 100 differs from the level you are on. Level one is a 100 yard sprint in 24 seconds and a 36-second jog back to the start. The final level is a 100 yard sprint in 15 seconds and 45 seconds to jog back.”

Another student, Senior Garret Huffman, maintains his physique with a vigorous muscular strength routine where he lifts weights five days a week—Monday to Friday. What is unique about Huffman’s training is his unrivaled dedication to baseball and how he has made that a part of what he does on a day-to-day basis. 

“During the week, I hit and throw for baseball. I try to get hundreds of swings in each week and throw at least twice a week right now in the off season,” said Huffman.

Despite the weekends being his time off, Huffman also reported getting some extra swings in to further sharpen his capabilities. 

In addition to their workout routines, RCHS athletes have remained active throughout quarantine by getting plenty of sleep. Sleep allows the body to fight off various diseases as well as heal damaged muscles. Junior William Murdock mentions how he would not be able to perform as efficiently without his sleep. 

“Sleep is very important to me because I always need energy for the next day and recovery from the previous day.” said Murdock. “Without enough sleep I wouldn’t be able to work out near as often as I do.”

Unanimously, the athletes interviewed for this article agreed that it is best to try and get at least eight hours of sleep each night, but Nye also reminds us of a common misconception, which is that there is no such thing as too much sleep. 

“Sleeping too long is not good for your body,” said Nye.

It is often tempting to sleep all day when in quarantine because sometimes, that is all there is to do. However, oversleeping can have adverse effects on one’s health by increasing the chances of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.

The third and final part to living a healthier “COVID-19 life” is proper dieting. Dieting can be a daunting concept if not understood because most people assume that you have to radically change the foods you eat each day, but Murdock brings a fresh take on what can be done to consume a healthier diet. 

“While I don’t fully cut anything out of my diet, I usually avoid fried foods, calorie dense foods, like pizza or ice cream, and most desserts in general. Having said that, of course I eat some foods that aren’t purely for nutrition, like cereal. I mainly choose to eat this way because it makes me feel best.” said Murdock. “In order to work out and perform in sports, I have to feel well and foods that are higher in nutrients and lower in calories, like fruits and vegetables, tend to help me feel better.”

While altering your entire daily consumption is effective, it is not necessary in order to achieve a healthier life.  Murdock’s quote is a testimony to how dieting can be as simple as cutting out certain foods. If cutting out foods from your diet is too challenging, try a trick Huffman and Nye suggest. Both spoke to the importance of drinking plenty of fluids (mostly water) and how that alone is enough to keep them internally healthy. 

COVID-19 has made it more challenging to stay active, get the right amount of sleep, and make wise dietary choices. However, all it takes to overcome this obstacle is a little bit of motivation and some solid goals. Nye is motivated, partially, by her mother. 

“My mom motivates and pushes me the most. She does all workouts with me except the running, but she is typically timing them for me and telling me to go faster,” said Nye.

Nye has the right idea because one thing people forget when they train is that asking others for help is not only a source of motivation, but it can take your training to new levels. To keep motivated, you should also look to set some goals for yourself. 

“My advice for others looking to become more active is to start out slow. Work your way into your training and set goals. Then, once you complete the goals, you will become motivated to complete even larger goals.” said Huffman. 

Everybody has different goals, so it is important when you try to improve your health to set ones that are realistic for you. Be gracious to yourself, be where you are physically, and allow for slow progression. There is no need to let quarantine beat your body so use this time at home to anchor yourself and improve your health. 

Down below is a hybrid workout schedule crafted from the information given to me by Nye, Huffman, and Murdock. It has elements from all three training regimens, but I altered some exercises so that anyone regardless of equipment or skill level could do this workout. This program was intended for those who have not been active during quarantine.

Disclaimer: *Always consult a trained professional before attempting any type of activity listed down below. Rockbridge County High School, The Prowler, and all related associates/students are not responsible for any injury incurred during the performance or attempt of this workout.* 

“RCHS Athletes Bye Bye Quarantine-Bod Workout”

Difficulty: Beginners

Music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7bITMOda86bdPXYe8aNOnh

Warmup (Everyday Pre-Workout): 50 jumping jacks, 20 push ups, 10 squat jumps, 30 second plank, 30 mountain climbers 

Monday: 10 push ups 5 sets, jog 3 miles

Tuesday: 20 squats 5 sets, sprint up a hill 5 times in between squat reps

Wednesday: Rest and hydrate!

Thursday: 1 minute plank 5 sets minimum 

Friday: 10 push ups 5 sets, jog 3 miles

Saturday: Walk at least 3 miles

Sunday: Rest and hydrate!

The goal of this workout is to essentially “knock the rust off” and help you get back on track to meeting your physical goals. It is also important to mention that sleep and dieting go hand in hand with this workout. If you do not get plenty of sleep and eat well, the benefits of this mini-circuit will not do you much good. 

If you would like me to make a more advanced circuit please let me know in the comment section down below.